EPISODE 29

25th September, 1996.
***********************************

Mr. Hills had given up on any further search for his missing son. He had used all his contacts to find out what happened and if really it was his son that was involved in the accident. Everything pointed to it. He refused to believe it was so. He refused to believe that Jason was dead. It had already been three years but he still wouldn't stop insisting and hoping that Jason was still alive.

Xavier had told him that they should go and get the ashes of the boy from Edinburgh city police. The cops there had kept the ashes since then. Mr. Hills asked them to keep looking, that that was not his son. He had thought about it.

What was he going to tell Esperanza. That truly, their son was dead. He had been trying to get Stella to convince Esperanza to come back home or at least let him visit. How would he face her and his daughter? It drained his energy. 

He sat on his couch with a glass of scotch in hand. He was now the boss. After the death of Don Alvarez and Mr. Woods, the sectional heads of the Himano Drug Gang had a meeting. There, they all decided to make Mr. Hills the new boss. At first, Mr. Hills did not want to have anything to do with the gang. It was because of the whole drug issue that his son got killed. Because his boss suspected him. He didn't want to put Nicki's life in danger. Xavier however convinced him otherwise. This was a job he was good at. He knew all there was to know about it. He was well respected by every other person. Xavier swore to protect Nicki personally. He would make sure nothing harms her. Mr. Hills had thought a lot about it. He finally decided to go on with it. He was already too deep into it to pull out now. 

After having been made the boss, he thanked them and spoke to them. Xavier was standing beside him. Mr. Hills advised them on how to better run the gang. They were to be smarter. The city of Jubal now had a new police Chief and he didn't look like he could be manipulated. They were to do their business with their eyes on the ground.

After the death of the Don and Mr. Woods many members of the gang had dropped out, fearing that there was a war going on. Mr. Hills assured the section head that there was no war. That it was an unfortunate accident. The section heads didn't seem to believe him. More than anything, they suspected him. But their suspicions of him only made them fear him. If he was really the one that killed the Don, then he was really a deadly man and should be feared. They had listened attentively to their new boss.

After the meeting that day, Mr. Hills had gone to school with Xavier to pick Nicki from school. He loved the child. She was very effervescent. Very playful. Mr. Hills couldn't help wondering what it would have felt like to watch Nicki and his daughter play together. His wife's best friend Stella had called him the day that Esperanza gave birth. Esperanza had named the baby Stacy. Mr. Hills had asked to come see the baby, but Stella insisted otherwise. Esperanza was not to know that they even talked. She was not to know that He knew where she was. Stella promised to keep in touch with Mr. Hills until Esperanza was ready to see him again. 

Mr. Hills stood up from the couch. He took his mobile phone and dialed Xavier. He was now ready to go collect his son's ashes. There was no need waiting any more. He had to do it now and put this behind him.

Xavier had been the one doing most of Mr. Hills' job. He personally supervised the consignments. The drugs and the arms.

Xavier answered the call. Mr. Hills told him that they would go for the ashes the next day. He also called Stella and told her to tell Esperanza. He had wanted to talk to her himself but Stella had refused to put Esperanza on the phone.  

*********************************************************************
Please don't forget to leave your comments. Make me a better writer. Thank you.