EPISODE 36

2nd February, 2015.

**********************************

Nicki felt like she had it all. A dad who loves her so much, her own personal bodyguard in the person of Xavier and her ever caring nanny Miss Harlem. Life was fun for her.

Her dad was a mogul like no one else. He had a stadium in his name, a chain of malls and even built a school for kids as charity.  Yes, her dad was rich as one can be. She didn't know what her dad did for money but she was happy she had too much money to spend.

But that was when she was younger. As she got older she wondered what it was her dad actually does. With the amount of money she saw her dad controlled, she guessed that whatever he did was not something entirely legal.

Her dad was an ex- convict and she did not buy the story that he was sentenced because of illegal funds transfer. She wanted to find out what her dad actually did. And it excited her that it might be something illegal. She had asked her dad but he insisted that he was an old dog in the insurance industry and nothing more. She didn't believe him. She had to find out for sure what it was because no other person in the insurance industry could boast of the amount of money she was sure her dad had.

Uncle Xavier on the other hand did not look like one to talk to. He always looked mean. She could count the number of times she had seen a smile in Xavier's face. Two times.

First was the day that dad was released from prison and the last time was on her 16th birthday when her dad handed her the keys to her first car. Xavier had smiled at her then, or it seemed. 

It was on that same day that her dad told her that she was adopted. According to Mr. Hills, her biological parents were dead long ago. Nicki cried that day but that was the last time she cried. She was grateful to Mr. Hills for adopting her. 

She had also gotten to meet Mrs. Esperanza Hills. Apparently, she and Mr. Hills were separated. Nicki at times wished she had a relationship with Esperanza and her daughter Stacy. But they both seemed not to want anything with her. They never came to the house and she didn't know where they lived either.

But Nicki still loved her life. She had grown to see Miss Harlem as the mum she didn't have. And Miss Harlem had filled that gap completely. She loved that woman with all her heart. Her dad, Mr. Hills made sure he spoilt her with whatever she wanted. She had four cars at her disposal. She wore the best clothes, the best shoes and her friends practically envied her. She never for once missed her biological parents. But that's where it ended.

She wanted to do something.

Nicki was beginning to accept that she wouldn't find out what it was her dad really did for a living or maybe he was actually telling the truth when he said he was in the insurance industry and nothing more.

Dad had never lied to her so maybe it was probably true. She had with the help of her boyfriend bugged her dad's phone and had been listening to his calls in the hope of hearing something to suggest other means of income, but she hadn't heard anything yet. Until two weeks ago. 

Nicki woke up that morning lazy. Miss Harlem was the one that woke her up with kiss on her forehead. She looked up to see Miss Harlem's soft face. It warmed her heart to wake up that smile every morning. She loved that woman so much. 

Nicki sat up on her bed, gave Miss Harlem a hug and was about to lie down again for a little more sleep then she heard Miss Harlem say

"You can listen in on your dad now dear".

Miss Harlem had Nicki's phone in hand and was handing it to her. 
Nicki quickly understood. She took the phone from her and pressed 1. 
Her dad was talking to a man on the receiver. Immediately Nicki heard the voice, she knew it was Uncle Xavier.

Mr. Hills: "I don't expect him to be a    problem. Don't tell me that you can't make him change his mind"

Xavier: "Sir, i have tried all means to get him to cooperate but he still won't budge"

Mr. Hills: "If he hasn't cooperated then you haven't tried all means"

Xavier: "Sir he is still a young boy. Left to me, lets give him time. I believe that the others will soon get him to act accordingly"

Mr. Hills: " I give you two days to make him get in line. If he doesn't, you know what to do"

Xavier: "Yes sir. I will do that". 

The call ended. Nicky had heard everything. She was worried, but more happy than worried. She couldn't tell exactly what her dad and Uncle Xavier were up to but she knew it must be bad and the young boy was definitely in trouble. She had the thought to go talk with her dad and find out what it was but she changed her mind. He would probably lie and/or get angry that she had been listening in on his calls. She resolved to find out on her own.

She was going to do her own investigation, find out who the said boy is and make him do what her dad wants.

For once in her life Nicky felt she had a mission or vision or both. She had been itching to do something to make dad proud. Or to just do something. She was tired of just sitting and getting everything she wanted. Boredom was choking her. She had to do something and this will be the one.

Her dad would be so proud when he finds out that his big problem was solved by his little girl. She could already see the smile that will be etched on his face. 

Nicki left her bed and headed to the bathroom for a bath. In minutes she had taken a bath, dressed up and was ready to start her investigation.  

**********************************************************************Please don't forget to leave your comments. Make me a better writer. Thank you.