EPISODE 37

4th February, 2015.

***********************************

Nicki knew the first thing she had to do. She had to find out who the said young man was. The only way to do that was to track and follow Xavier undetected. Who knows? Maybe she would see or hear something to help her figure out who the man is. She drove in her Lexus to Xavier's house. She thought of calling her boyfriend to help her in the investigation but she soon jettisoned the idea. This was something she would do alone.

She parked her car six buildings away from Xavier's apartment. She waited for him. After about 30mins, there was no sign of Xavier. Nicki thought maybe he had already left. She should have come earlier. Too bad. Maybe she would have to ask her dad after all. Or maybe she would try again the next day. 

She was about to drive away when she noticed Xavier's car pull out of his driveway. She waited a while more and then quickly followed. About five cars were in between hers and Xavier's when they got to the express.

This was the perfect way to tail someone. Her boyfriend had thought her. They had both driven for over an hour. Nicki began to think that maybe Xavier was onto her. Maybe he had noticed her trailing him. 

Xavier's car turned at the intersection and headed down south. Nicki knew that that part of the city was dangerous. There had been several police reports of people being shot in that part of the city. The Deputy Police Chief had called that part of town 'The devils vacation spot'. It scared her a little.

She pulled over at the side of the road considering turning around and heading back home. It was not worth the risk. She would have to find something else to occupy her time. After all, it was boredom that was driving her to carry out this investigation. She had thought about going back but she still wanted to find out where it was Xavier was heading to. What it was he was up to? She made up her mind, she would continue her trailing. If anything happens to her, so be it. Her life meant nothing anyways. A boring life is next to no life. She drove.

She couldn't see Xavier's car anymore but she drove on. Driving into the streets of the area, fear gripped her.

The cops were understating in their reports. This place was a mess. The buildings were old and looked deserted. Haunted was a better way to describe them. Although she could clearly see people in the buildings, she still felt like those were not buildings.

Those walking on the streets scared her too. She kept thinking that soon she would be robbed and her car taken. And maybe she might be raped too. Or maybe be kidnapped for ransom. She started to wish she had her boyfriend with her now. Maybe it would look like she had protection because alone as she was now, she was just like a helpless duck on target. 
Her hands wear shaking on the steering wheel but she drove on. She spotted Xavier's car parked in front of a building. She wanted to park where she was then and walk to where Xavier's car was. But what if one of these deadly faces that were staring at her charges at her and robs her? She couldn't also drive up to where Xavier was, he might spot her car and know its her. Spotting a narrow alley, she shut the cars engine and let it roll slowly into the alley. She parked there.

She ruffled her hair and half cleaned the lipstick on her lips. Then she rubbed her fingers on her eyes making them red. All these she did so that she would look like she was from the neighborhood or at least to look tough. She stepped out of the car feeling disappointed at the result. She didn't look half as ragged as those in the neighborhood. Her designer clothing and shoes were just not meant for the character she wanted to play. She decided to go on with it. Its either it works or it doesn't. 

She walked down the street towards the building where Xavier's car was parked. She could feel the stares she was getting from people but she walked on. Her legs became heavier by each minute. 

Getting to the building, she made her way into it in tiptoes. The inside of the building was as rusty as the exterior. It was a large hall with many pillars and cracked walls. There was no single window in the building and old hanging lights dangled from the ceiling, which itself looked like it was soon about to cave in. Nicki was both frightened and excited.

She hid by one of the pillars when she heard two male voices. Both seemed to be in a discussion. The first voice she made out to Xavier's voice. How lucky. The second mans voice sounded familiar but she couldn't tell where she had heard the voice before. She tried to do away with all thoughts in her head, hoping to hear what both men were saying. 

Xavier was telling the other man to make sure he carries out the assignment by Friday or he will have to pay for it. The other man assured Xavier that he would do it.

Nicki wondered what the assignment would be. Could it be about the young man? Has Xavier already arranged for someone to kill the young police officer? She heard the man say to Xavier,
"I will be on my way then. I have so much work to do. Just be assured, he wont be alive by Saturday."

Nicki's heart sank when she heard that. This was definitely an assassination mission.

She had heard footsteps like both men were walking further into the hall.  Nicki tiptoed fast out of the building. She then walked briskly to where she had parked her car.

At first she didn't notice it but on a closer look, she saw that her car had been broken into. Someone had rubbed her. Stepping into the car, she noticed that her mobile phone and her watch which she had left in the car were missing. Her car windows were not broken. Whoever did this was good. Nicki was not worried about the phone. She was itching to see the hit man that Xavier was talking to. She waited in the car hoping that the man would drive away soon so that she would trail him and find out who he is. She had her head down not wanting to be seen.

Not long, Xavier's car drove past and a blue SUV followed behind it. Nicki guessed that the SUV must belong to the hit man. She waited twelve more seconds before driving away. Both cars before her were heading back into the city. Nicki drove about ten meters behind the blue SUV. She noticed Xavier's car turn at the next intersection. That was the road to her house. Maybe Xavier was going back home to tell her dad that he has found a killer. The blue SUV kept on going straight. Nicki followed behind, keeping her distance as far as possible. She was going to see this to the end. 

Nicki followed the blue SUV as it entered into the Phanta City Police Station parking lot. She couldn't understand what was happening. Was the man a cop who was working undercover and now has evidence against Xavier? What is he doing in the police station? How does this affect her? How does it affect her dad? 

The door of the blue SUV opened. A man stepped out and began walking into the police station building. Nicki knew who the man was. Everyone in the city knew who this man was. It was the Deputy Police Chief, Mr. Warner Wilson. There was no way Xavier would not have known who the man was. This meant that this was not an undercover operation. If it wasn't, then who did Deputy Chief Wilson just promise to take care of by Saturday? Nicki had to find out, but this time, she would need the help of her boyfriend.

Nicki turned the car around heading home. She had to buy a new phone because she had a call to make.    

**********************************************************************Please don't forget to leave your comments. Make me a better writer. Thank you.