EPISODE 21

.....................................................................

Gram smiled. He stood up just as the detective did too. Both men left the office and drove to the hospital.

At the hospital, they were met by the Doctor in charge of Jason. He quickly walked the detective and Gram into Jason's room.

Jason was sitting on the bed with his head on the headboard. He smiled when he saw a familiar face. He seemed to remember Detective Frudo very well. He didn't know who the other man was. He didn't look familiar at all. Jason watched both men. Detective Frudo sat by his bed and the Gram stood watching.

Jason looked at Detective Frudo again. He was expecting something and Detective Frudo knew exactly what it was. He held Jason's hands in his.

"How are you doing today" he asked.

"I'm fine sir" Jason replied with a smile.

He pressed hard on the detective's hand and said

"Do you have it. Please?"

Detective Frudo smiled. He reached into a bag he had carried into the hospital room and took out from it, a plastic plate of ice cream.

Jason was very happy. He almost dived for the ice cream. Detective Frudo smiled. He handed Jason the ice cream and said

"All yours, and be careful, don't spill on the sheet"

Jason wasn't listening. In the presence of ice cream, he was deaf. He thanked the detective and attacked the ice cream.

Gram watched in admiration. He felt love for the boy. He took a step forward. He talked to Jason, putting up his best smile.

"Jason, do you remember me?"
Jason looked up at him, an ice cream patch was on his upper lip. He said,

"Eehm no sir, i don't"

He immediately went back to his ice cream.

Gram tried again,

"Do you remember the accident? The explosion? I was there. I...... "

Detective Frudo cut in

"Gram, give him time. He would remember with time"

Gram smiled and nodded. He stepped back and leaned against the wall.

Jason cupped a spoonful of the ice cream and extended his hand towards the Detective's mouth and said

"You should take some, Detective"
Detective Frudo smiled

"I have told you that you can call me Uncle Frudo. And no, i won't take, its all yours,"

"Okay, Uncle Frudo, but you never take ice cream with me. Don't you like ice cream?" Jason said, looking sad.

Detective Frudo held his hand and said

"Of course not, I like ice cream. Okay, give me some"

Jason was immediately happy. He scooped up a spoonful of the ice cream and fed Detective Frudo. A little of the ice cream fell off the Detective's mouth and landed on the bed sheet.

"You spilled it Uncle Frudo. It was you."

Jason said, smiling. 

Gram caught himself smile too. He liked the little boy. 

Thirty minutes later, both men left the hospital. 

......................................................................
**********************************************************************Please don't forget to leave your comments. Make me a better writer. Thank you.