EPISODE 14

.................................................................

Barry heard a gunshot. It confused him. He opened his eyes and saw the wolf lying beside him, dead. It had been shot. Barry looked around. He saw a man some yards away from him. The man had a gun in hand and looked like he was about to faint. Barry yanked his foot one more time.

He felt his flesh tearing. He tried harder and his foot got out. He quickly got up and walked towards the man. The man had fallen on the floor. He picked him up and said

"Sir, thank you very much. Thank you"

Barry noticed that the man was bleeding in his left leg. 

"Sir, what happened to you?" Barry asked. The man didn't say anything. 
Barry tried to shake him. He opened the man's eyes and held his eyelids apart. He said

"My name is Barry. Let me take you to the hospital"

The man held Barry tightly on his hand. 

He murmured something. Barry had to listen hard to hear it. 

The man had said. 

"Do not let the cops see me".
Barry didn't know what that meant. He picked up the gun and carried the man to his tent. Checking the man's pulse, Barry confirmed that he was alive. He could hear the sound of police sirens. He walked outside the tent and saw about five cops walking down and towards his tent. Maybe the man was a thief or something of sort and the cops were searching for him. Barry had a hard decision to make. 

Barry had to either give the man to the cops and not be seen as an accomplice or hide the man from the cops and pay him back for saving his life.

He got out a body bag that he gets into when he wants to sleep outside the tent. He slid the body bag to cover the man. Then he moved the body behind his bed, hiding it. He prayed the man stays alive and still until he discharges the cops. 

Barry walked out of his tent and pretended not to notice the cops. He noticed that his leg was bleeding. He didn't mind, good thing is, he was alive. The cops were getting closer to his tent. One of them shouted from afar. 

"Hey, sir, did you see anyone come this way?

Barry shook his head.

Another cop said. 

"Are you sure?"

Barry spoke. "Yes i am"

The cop said "Well we heard a gunshot that's why we came down here"

Two of them were now standing in front of Barry. The other two were pacing about the woods searching. 
One of the cops standing with Barry noticed a smear of blood that had tracked into the tent.

"Whose blood is that?" asked the cop. 
Barry panicked. He took a deep breath. He saw the name tag on the cop's uniform. It was Inspector Henry Savogo. Barry swallowed, pointing to his leg he said. 

"That's my blood"

The cops looked at his legs. They pitied him. Inspector Henry said 

"Oh sorry, what happened?"

"I was attacked by a wolf. I got my leg stuck in a tree root."

The other cop, Sergeant Jacob asked
"Where is the wolf?"

Barry pointed to where the wolf had jumped towards him. One of the cops who was searching said to the other cops

"There is a dead wolf lying here".

Inspector Henry nodded. He walked closer to Barry. His face so close to Barry's.

"A man escaped from the accident that happened on that road. I see you have a wound on your leg, you are alone in this woods and i see you have a gun in hand. What do you think i should think?"

Barry looked at his hand. He didn't remember taking the gun out with him. He looked at the inspector.

"I am a scientist. I come here for research at least twice a week. I was attacked by that wolf but i shot it with my gun. Now, this gun is registered, so i don't think you have that against me"

Inspector Henry smiled. He asked one the other cops to go and search the tent. He said to Barry

"If i find out you are lying to me, i would make sure you go in for years"

The cops asked to search the tent had just entered the tent when Sergeant Jacob said 

"Now i remember you"

He was smiling at Barry 

"You are the man that discovered that coin. You got an award for it right? Yes that's you"

Barry smiled. He didn't know anyone still remembered him. 

"Yes i am the one" Barry said. 

Sergeant Jacob shouted to the cop who was by the tent. 

"Hey, lets go, there is nothing here. He is a good man. He practically lives here"

The cop who was by the tent walked away from the tent. Inspector Henry recognized Barry too. His sister had mentioned him a lot of time. He signaled the cops to leave. They all walked back up the road. 

Inspector Henry stopped, turned to Barry and said 

"Would you come with us? Lets drop you in the hospital for your leg?"

"Don't worry, i will drive myself. I will have to clean the blood in the tent first. It may attract other animals".

Inspector Henry smiled. He walked on.  

Immediately the cops left. Barry walked into the tent. He quickly unzipped the body bag. He carried the man out of the tent and into his car. It was a hard task. The man was heavy. His short stature didn't help either. He laid the man at the back seat of the car. The man's bleeding had stopped. Barry feared he may have lost all blood. He drove. Thirty minutes later, Barry was at the Graceland
Hospital. He drove close to the main entrance, parked his car and got out. He went to the back seat, carried the man out of the car. A nurse had seen him and she came running with a stretcher. Running behind her was another nurse. They helped Barry place the man on the stretcher. As the nurses carried the injured man into the hospital emergency room. Barry quickly got into his car and drove off. He didn't want to be tied to whatever the man was involved with. He had paid him back for saving his life.   

......................................................................**********************************************************************Please don't forget to leave your comments. Make me a better writer. Thank you.