EPISODE 5

.....................................................................

Jason didn't seem to care about what Mr. Woods said. He had something else in mind.

"Uncle Kennedy. Where is dad? Why isn't he with you?" Jason asked.

"He had some errands to run. I came to take you home. Now walk with me"
They both walked to the car holding hands. Jason pranced with joy. They entered the car, joining Don Alvarez at the back seat. Jason sat in-between the two men and they drove off. As they drove, both men were silent.

Mr. Woods wondered how this day came to be like it was. Who would be responsible for setting them up?

Jason wondered who the huge man by his left side was. He was scary and he didn't like him. Why was Uncle Kennedy with this man and why did dad not come to take him home? Jason looked at Don Alvarez, his inquisitive blue eyes catching the attention of the Don.

"How would you like to stop for ice-cream before you go home" Don Alvarez said to Jason. Jason was pleased, his eyes glowed with excitement.

"I will love to" Jason said. He was beginning to like the huge man after all. Maybe he is just huge but a nice man. Maybe he is Santa Claus.

Mr. Woods knew what ice-cream stop meant. Don Alvarez was known to treat people nicely just before killing them. He spoke to the Don again.

"Please don't do this, i beg of you, please. He's, he's just... Jason cut him off. He was ecstatic.

"Uncle Kennedy, what are we going to do? Uncle Kennedy? Are we going to the park? I want to ride the rollercoaster."

He turned to Don Alvarez and said
"Sir, what is your name?"

Don Alvarez looked at Mr. Woods then back at Jason.

"Well young Jason, my name is Don Alvarez. I am your dad's friend."

"You work at the insurance company too" Jason asked.

Don Alvarez smiled.

So that's what Mr. Hills told his son that he does. Nice. I hope he has death insurance. He thought. He grinned at his joke and said

"Yes, i work there too"

"Please can you take me there, dad has refused to take me to work" Jason said enthusiastically.

"Okay my boy, i will."

Jason was happy. He was half jumping with happiness.

"That means i may see dad at work. But first we will get the ice-cream right?"

Don Alvarez almost laughed.

"Yes, after the ice-cream".

They stopped at an ice-cream shop. Jason ordered a lot of flavors. He loved strawberry but he also liked, banana, vanilla and chocolate and he got them all.

As they drove off, Jason was happy. He noticed and wondered why Mr. Woods was quiet all these while.

"Uncle Kennedy, would you like one of the ice-creams? Jason said, extending his small hands towards Mr. Woods.

Mr. Woods was startled, for he was in deep thought. He turned to Jason and tried to put up a calm and unworried face.

"No Jason, they are all for you"

"But Uncle Kennedy, you look worried. Whats wrong? Take an ice-cream, you will feel better". Jason insisted.

"Yes, Uncle Kennedy, take an ice-cream" Don Alvarez chipped in coldly.

Mr. Woods took the ice-cream from Jason and held it in his arm. He wasn't going to lick that. The ice was melting and sliding down the back of his hand. He did not care, he did not even notice.

"Go on, lick it" Jason said. His blue eyes looking persuasive.

Mr. Woods did and pretended to enjoy it. He even gave a half smile and said to Jason
"You are right, i am calm now. Thanks Jason"

"You are welcome" Jason said.
Jason turned to Don Alvarez and said "Mr. Alvarez, will you take one?"

Don Alvarez didn't say anything. Jason left him. Maybe he didn't like ice cream. Jason climbed on top of the seat and talked to the driver

"What about you, sir?.......

The driver was silent.

Jason got down to his seat. He was getting bored. He had smeared most of the back seat with ice cream. A little had stained Don Alvarez's white suit. Jason didn't mind, nobody seemed to care.

"Are we there yet?"

Don Alvarez was the one that replied.
"Yes my boy, we are"

They drove into an abandoned construction site. A car was parked there and two men stood beside the car. One of them whose name was Morgan was short and had a big beard. The other man, Dave, was of average height, slim and lanky.

Don Alvarez and Mr. Woods got off the car with Jason. The driver adjusted the car seat in a lying position and lay down. Maybe he felt sleepy and wanted to take a little nap.

The lanky man went and opened a door and the Don walked into it. Jason walked behind Mr. Woods, scared.

This doesn't look anyway like an office. He thought.

"Uncle Kennedy, who are these men? They look scary Jason said to Mr. Woods. He was shaking with fear.

Mr. Woods had no reply for the kid. Don Alvarez talked to the man with a big beard.

"You" he said pointing at the man. "Take the boy."

Morgan grabbed Jason and put him on his shoulder. The ice-cream that Jason had fell off his hand. Jason was crying and kicking but Morgan held him tight. He carried Jason through the door to an empty room and threw the boy on the floor. There was sand on the floor and it stank. Dave, the lanky man, tied Jason's hands behind his back and tied his feet together too. With a duct tape he covered the boy's mouth. Jason kicked and kicked but got tired. He just knelt on the floor, his face up the roof.

Don Alvarez took out his phone, dialed number and started talking to the receiver. Every other person was quite. They all waited for the boss to finish his call and give the next instruction. Mr. Woods observed Jason. The boy looked very scared.

Don Alvarez was done with his call. He lighted a cigar and took a puff, turned to Mr. Woods and said
"Loyalty will sometimes need to be proven."

He took out Mr. Woods' gun, handed it to Mr. Woods and said with a grin.
"Now, shoot the boy."

Mr. Woods was shocked. He thought he was just going to witness this, now he was going to be the one pulling the trigger.

"I can't do this boss. No i can't. For Christ sakes, he is just a kid"

"Very funny, and your two year old daughter is just an adult? Let me make it easier for you. You have ten seconds. Its either this kid or yours and your wife. And for the small touch, I'm burning down your house so that the Police will have something to think about. Now your time starts now. 6, 7, 8,"

Mr. Woods shot the boy.

.....................................................................**********************************************************************What? Poor kid.

Please don't forget to leave your comments. Make me a better writer. Thank you.