EPISODE 27

13th June, 1995.
***********************************
Jason felt himself very cold. He slowly opened his eyes. He blinked twice. He noticed he was not lying on his bed. He was lying on the field. His legs were tied together with a rope on his ankles. It was very early, around 5am. He shivered as the biting wind gusted against his all too thin polo.

He tried to get himself loose from the ropes. He had a strange feeling that this had happened before. Someone had tied him up before. He couldn't remember where or when or even who. But he felt it had happened before. His hands were free. He used them to untie the ropes on his legs.

Once free, he threw the ropes away and ran into the hall. He knew it must be Ivan who tied him up and carried him from his bed to the field. He hoped to get back at Ivan. But why didn't his roommates wake up? Why didn't he wake up? How did Ivan do it? Jason wondered.

Jason sneaked into the Hall. The other boys were having their bath. He quickly went in and took his bath too, occasionally looking around him for Ivan. After breakfast that day Jason thought about calling Ivan to make peace with him. He met Ivan and his two friends on their way to class. He stopped Ivan and said with his head bowed down,

"Am sorry Ivan, i will never say it again. I will never say that you are a bully again"

Ivan had a huge smile on his face but it quickly disappeared. He came closer to Jason and said

"What is this mark on your face little girl?"

Jason shook with fear.
"I have always had it"

You have always had this disgusting mark on your face? Guess I wasn't the first person to beat you up. Guess your mama did. Well, I am going to give you a new one tomorrow."

He shoved Jason so hard he fell to the floor. Jason stood up again. His legs were shaking. Ivan came closer to him.

"You called me a bully. Well, that's what i will be to you and everyone else. Get used to it because i am loving it"

Jason wanted to say something but Ivan had walked away. He kept quiet and walked into the class. He hoped that Detective Frudo comes to see him that day. He would tell the detective about Ivan. Maybe he would hasten the search for a family for him.

The class teacher, Miss Lucy stood by the board and taught the class. She smiled a lot. She was slender and a little pretty. She was all the kid's first crush. They were always all quiet and obedient when in front of her. They all wanted her to be impressed with them. 

Jason watched Miss Lucy. He was very attentive in class. Miss Lucy asked a question to Ivan. He stood up and answered. His answer was wrong. Miss Lucy asked another boy whose name was Liam. Liam did not get the right answer. Miss Lucy asked Jason. He stood up. He gave his answer and it was correct. All the other boys gave applauded. Ivan was not happy with that. He turned to Jason and gave him the look. Jason regretted answering the question. Maybe he should have answered wrongly and avoid another beating from Ivan. But he also wanted to impress Miss Lucy.

After class that day, while they were at lunch, Jason was sitting just opposite Ivan. That was his assigned position. Ivan stared hatefully at Jason. Sensing that no one of authority was looking, Ivan walked to where Jason sat, took Jason's plate and threw it to the floor. Jason said no word. He fought the tears that were about to escape his eyes. He looked from one face to the other, searching for the refectory head, Miss Janet. She was nowhere near.

Ivan walked back to his seat and sat down. The other boys in the refectory watched. Jason was about to cry when his roommate Ted walked up to him. Ted had a plate of food in hand. He placed it before Jason and said

"I'm sorry for what he did. Eat this. I'm okay"

Jason looked up to him. He was about to say thanks when immediately, Ivan rushed to them, took the plate of food and threw it to the floor. 

Ted looked angry. He stared at Ivan. Ivan stepped forward, his face almost touching Ted's. 

"Get back to your seat" he said to Ted. 
Ted said nothing. He sighed and sized Ivan up. He knew he could send him on the floor in a punch but he didn't want any trouble. There were 22 other boys in the refectory with them and they all watched the unfolding drama. They hoped that the refectory head would not come any soon. They also hoped that Ted and Ivan fight.

Ted was about to walk away from them, slowly heading to his own seat. As he had walked about two steps away, Ivan blurted.

"Go on. Get back to your seat. Little girl".

Ted couldn't let that one slide. He jerked towards Ivan and hooked a right punch on Ivan's jaw sending him falling on the table, knocking more plates to the floor. Ivan quickly caught himself and came hauling unto Ted. He threw his weight on Ted bringing him down. He was now on top of Ted. He knelt on him, his legs on the side and threw a punch at Ted. Ted covered his face with his hands to block the punch. Ivan kept punching madly and in quick succession. Ted couldn't help but notice to himself that Ivan was punching like a little girl. Although he was fast, his punches were weak. As Ivan threw another one of his weak punches, Ted blocked it with his left hand and seeing the opening, he sent a right uppercut to Ivan's jaw, throwing him away. Ted quickly stood up. He sat on top of Ivan. He held Ivan's head in place with his left hand and then with his right hand, he ran punches on Ivan's face, his nose, his forehead. He kept punching away till the refectory head ran to them and beat him up and off Ivan.

Ivan had started crying. He sobbed away. That was the last day he bullied Jason again. Ted was always there to protect Jason.  

********************×********************×****************************Please don't forget to leave your comments. Make me a better writer. Thank you.