EPISODE 26

12th June, 1995.
.................................................................

Jason sat in-between two boys who looked three years older than he was. He was a little scared. They were sitting at the refectory awaiting their food to be served them.

There were about 25 boys in the refectory. Jason observed the boy sitting just opposite him. He didn't like the boy. He was a bully.

For the past six months since Jason came to the orphanage, he had hated it all. Miss Gina, the chief director of Edinburgh city child services had promised him that he would be taken care of. But everything was just the opposite. The food was not good, they slept very late. They sometimes had to wear the same clothes for up to three days. And what annoyed Jason most was that he had not for once eaten his favorite ice cream or any ice cream for that matter.

It was on the very first day that Detective Frudo drove him to the orphanage that he ate the last ice cream. Detective Frudo had promised to come visit him often and he had kept the promise. He came to the orphanage every two weeks. At times he came with the other man, Gram. That was his name. The man had been so nice. Jason had told Detective Frudo that he didn't like the place and the detective had said that he would try and see what he could do about it. Maybe he couldn't get him out of there.

Two kids had been adopted few days ago by a couple that looked rich. All the other kids had watched in awe and a little envy. Jason wished that one day a couple would also come for him. 

A plate of food was placed in front of him and he looked at it. It was rice. Or rather, something that looked like rice. He had hoped they would eat something different that night. It was rice that was served the previous night and the night before that. Jason took the spoon beside the plate and proceeded to eat the rice. The taste was not good but it wasn't the first time.

He looked again at the boy that sat opposite him. His name was Ivan. He was staring down at Jason. He had promised Jason a beating that day. Jason hoped he would act like Miss Gina and forget his promise. He feared Ivan a lot. He was the bully of bullies. Always kicking other kids and threatening to kill them.

Jason shoved the rice into his mouth in quick successions. He was soon done with it. He waited a while, trying had to avoid eye contact with Ivan. The refectory head was to announce the end of meals and the kids would then be allowed to move to their rooms. Jason waited for that.

Ivan shot hateful looks at him. The refectory head soon announced the end of meal and all the kids headed to their rooms. They were arranged, six boys in each room. Jason's room was room 9. His roommates were all nice boys. Well, all but one. His name was Ted. Ted was not a talker. He had not been seen talking to anyone before. He was always on his own, seldom playing with anyone. He was just as big as Ivan but looked too quiet.

As Jason got closer to his room, someone tapped him on his shoulder from behind him. He knew who it would be. He was right. It was Ivan. Jason gulped. He knew he was dead meat. He had seen Ivan beat up smaller boys before. Ivan was bigger than his age. Jason was scared.

"I I Im sorry i said tha tha that about you. You you are not a bully" Jason stuttered.

Ivan did not look like he heard Jason. And if he did, he ignored it. He walked closer to Jason looking intently at him. He gave Jason a hard shove sending him on the floor. Some boys had come closer to watch. They pitied Jason for they had once been in his shoes. Jason was about to cry but he tried not to. He stood up, wanting to attack Ivan. He rushed him, but Ivan held him with his left hand on Jason's head. Jason kept throwing punches at Ivan, but his hands could not reach Ivan. Ivan shoved Jason away again. He fell to the floor again. This time too tired to get up. Ivan walked up to him. He held Jason on his shirt and hit him on the head a couple of times while smiling.

"I told you i would beat you up" Ivan said. He gave Jason a knock on the head. He was about to give him another knock when the boys who were watching all started running away and into their rooms. The Chief maid, Miss Janet was walking towards them. Ivan let go of Jason and walked away. Miss Janet shouted on all the boys to get to their rooms. She came to Jason and held him up. She dusted him and asked him into his room promising to punish Ivan later.

Jason went into his room, climbed unto his bunk and lay down. He was trying hard not to cry. He covered himself with a blanket. His five roommates had seen him come in. They all looked at him in pity. Jason looked at Ted. He seemed not to care what happened to him.

Jason wished he was as big as Ted. If he was, he may have had the strength to fight Ivan back. He wished he was strong enough. He wished he was not in the orphanage. He wished his parents were still alive. He wished a lot of things.

Detective Frudo had told him that his parents died in a car crash. If only they were still alive, he wouldn't be in this orphanage. He wouldn't have to be bullied.

Jason tried to sleep. He had been having nightmares lately. He couldn't remember much when he wakes up. But in the nightmares, he felt himself being hit against a hard surface. He couldn't see what it was. It bothered him a lot as to what it was. Maybe it was the car accident in which his parents died. He tried to sleep. He hoped he wouldn't have a nightmare. Not tonight.

**********************************************************************Please don't forget to leave your comments. Make me a better writer. Thank you.