"Sasuke is to be released next month," said Gaara, albeit with a hint of reluctance in his voice. "After months of deliberating, it seems that the Uchiha have finally come to terms with our compromise. I believe that after losing control over the Lands of Rivers and Grass, they realised that they need Sasuke urgently, to return and reconquer their lost territories. In exchange, we have been promised one of their less important members of the clan, but we couldn't care less about them. What matters to us is that this is the perfect time for Naruto to return to us, as he will be one of the changeover squad accompanying that member here."

I only picked up one thing.

"So Sasuke's... leaving?"

My heart sank. Just a little bit.

"Yes, but that's not what matters. What matters is that throughout this period, Naruto has had an ample amount of time to collect more data regarding the Uchiha's next moves, and how we can counter them. Now that he finally has the opportunity to return to us, we can break out of this standstill and make a move before they do."

"So when's the changeover going to be?" asked Kannon, glancing over at Tsunade, who was still staring out at the village below her in absolute silence.

"June the thirteenth," answered Gaara. "A handful of Senju and Suna shinobi will escort Sasuke to the rendezvous point, led by Kakashi Hatake. Even though they say they're giving us one of their men in exchange, we can't trust the Uchiha not to do anything dodgy. And when I say the Uchiha, I mean Sasuke too. That's why I'm going to ask you not to relay any of this information to him. About the exchange, about Naruto, about anything. You don't have to stop visiting him, but... just keep this to yourself."

It was silent until the Hokage spoke.

"We aren't asking you. This is an order."

I sat up straight as Tsunade turned around and looked at me with complete seriousness on her face, arms still crossed.

"You are forbidden from relaying any of these details to Sasuke. You may be the ultimate weapon people are seeking, but at the end of the day, you are still a citizen of Konoha, and answer to the Hokage. The only reason I'm allowing you to hear any of this information is because of Gaara. Kannon, you make sure that none of this finds its way to Sasuke, okay?"

"Yes, Hokage-sama."

"When will Sasuke find out about the exchange?" I asked, feeling the enormity of Tsunade's words.

"When we come into his cell to take him out," said Tsunade with a staunch voice. "So until the thirteenth, he will know nothing, and neither do you. Understood?"

"Yes, Hokage-sama," Kannon and I said in unison, heads bowed.

"Very good."

***

"Well, that news aside... are you excited to find out the gender?"

That night, Kannon and I sat in my room, eating dinner together. Beside us, Ayumi sat complacently in her pram, and an

"Yeah, I guess," I shrugged, not really processing anything. I was still trying to adjust to the thought of Sasuke leaving already, even though we had had a good five months together. This news overshadowed that of the gender reveal I would be having tomorrow, where Shijima would tell me if my baby was going to be a girl or a boy.

Kannon sighed and pushed her tray aside, shaking her head at me.

"You look worried. Talk to me."