100) Deaf

100 chapters... eeeep! :)

You walked into the school your mom worked at, carrying two coffees. One for your mom and the other for you. Your mom worked at a school that accommodates people that are hearing impaired or deaf. She learnt sign language and over the years you have picked up some as well.

It's been you and your mom for 10 years after your dad passed away when you were 8 years old. Your mom smiles at you as she sees you walking in.

"You just read my thoughts, I've needed coffee", she sighs smiling.

"Busy day?", you ask.

"There's a new teacher so I've been showing her around. She's really lovely. Just all the admin and questions have been a bit stressful", she explains and you nod.

"Is there anything I can do to help?", you offer.

"You can make dinner for us tonight", she winks at you and you smile.

"Will do. Homemade pizza?", you suggest and she nods.

"I'll see you later", you say as someone comes up to her. The school day has ended so as you're leaving, there are parents picking up their children.

You look to your left and see a rather attractive guy, around your age, signing to a younger girl. You smile at the interaction as they look really happy while communicating. They start walking to a car, signing to their dad as they walk towards him.

You notice that the girl has dropped her scarf and hasn't noticed. You run up and collect it for her just as she gets into the car. She turns to look at you and smiles.

You dropped this. You sign and her smile widens.

Thank you. She signs back and reaches for her scarf.

The older boy walks up to the two of you.

Is everything okay? He signs, looking at his sister.

I watch as she signs what I did.

It's a very pretty.. you start signing but can't remember the sign for scarf.

"Uh.. oh gosh", you say, slightly embarrassed. The boy looks at you and smiles.

"Scarf", he speaks. You're a bit surprised.

"Yeah.. scarf", you say.

"I'm Tyler", he introduces himself, extending his hand out for you to shake.

"Y/N", you say.

"This is my sister, Maya", he speaks and signs at the same time. Maya looks up at me and smiles, giving a small wave.

"Y/N", I sign to her, before her dad talks to her.

"Do you go here?", Tyler asks me.

"Oh no.. my mom works here", I say.

"Yeah I only come here to fetch my sister. So I guess what I'm saying is.. I'm not deaf", he cringes. "I feel horrible when I say that..", he admits.

"Don't worry, I didn't know what to say either", you give him a soft smile.

"Well I have to get going.. I'll see you around?", he asks and you nod as you wave goodbye to him and his sister.