Chapter 97

I look over her shoulder. "Positive," I say to her.

"No. I can't be." She shakes her head.

"You can't be?" I raise my eyebrow. "You do know how this happens, right?"

"Y-yes, but we used protection. It was only a couple times, we just started last week... I can't be. This is wrong. I need another test." She sniffles.

"We will get you to the doctors tomorrow, you'll have a urine test to confirm the pregnancy."

She grabs my arm. "You can't tell Phoenix."

"So it is my sons?"

"I love him." She responds quickly and wipes tears from her eyes.

"I believe it," I wrap my arm around her. "There's nothing to be worried about."

"How can you say that? I'm sixteen! I'm not even a member. Plus there's no doubt it's Phoenix's, he's the only guy I've ever been with." She gulps. "We're not ready."

I sigh and rub her back. "Do you know why we have this protocol? It's because I was in your shoes sixteen and pregnant and fighting my way through initation with a baby in my stomach."

"That's so dangerous." She says in disbelief. "Was it okay? Was the baby okay?"

"Yes," I nod my head. "You'll meet him soon--Phoenix's brother. His name is Ean."

"Oh god don't tell him either. No one can know about this." She says worried.

"I won't tell any of my children, but I have to tell Eric."

"What?" Her head whips to face me.

"He's the leader, I have to tell him so we can come up with an alternative initiation. We won't tell Phoenix, I promise."

"Oh my god. I feel sick." She leans over and holds her stomach. "This can't be real."

I grab ahold of her and continue to rub her back. "Look at me," I say sternly. "You have a support system here. I know it seems like the end of the world but it isn't. This is my grandchild, you aren't going to be alone through this pregnancy. It'll be okay."

She nods and responds quietly, "thank you, Elena."

"Get some rest, I'll pick you up early tomorrow for your doctor's appointment."

"The rest of the initiates will know I'm pregnant. They can't know it's with Phoenix." She shakes her head.

"Like I said, I won't tell anyone anything. Except for Eric."

"Okay. Thank you." She nods and sniffles.

**

I come home later than expected so Eric is waiting for me on the couch.

"You were right," I throw my stuff on the chair.

"I have a knack for these sort of things by now." He smiles and then it hits him. "Oh shit! Phoenix is pregnant."

"Well actually Natalie is pregnant, but yes, it is Phoenix's baby." I sit down next to him and sigh. "You should of saw her, she was so scared."

"Poor little innocent Amity girl. I remember a Candor initiate one year who had to go through the same thing." He shakes his head and jokes, "wow. The Coulter boys really know how to change a woman's life."

I chuckle. "Nineteen, at least he's older than we were, and Ean too. It's just too bad for the girl though."

"Serena was pregnant at sixteen too. I almost forgot about that. You know what that means, this girl is going to be family."