Chapter 76

The next morning I wake up, my head on Eric's chest. I place my palm on him and shift myself up toward his face as I kiss him awake.

"Good morning Mr. Leader," I trail my fingers down his sharp jawline.

"Good morning, Mrs. Married-to-the-head-of-Dauntless. How does it feel?" Eric smiles.

"I'm laying with the most powerful man in Dauntless," I kiss him. "It feels great." I smile back.

"I gotta tell the children!" Eric sprints out of bed and into the hall and starts banging on the kids doors. "Family meeting in the living room!" He yells.

I hear half the children groan loudly as I chuckle to myself. I get out of bed and put on sweatpants under the shirt I only wore to bed. I make my way to the living as I see majority of my sleepy children yawning their way there as well.

I take a seat on the couch and Eli takes a seat next to me on one side, Ean on the other. Phoenix squeezes next to Eli making no room on the couch. Emery takes a seat in his chair in the corner, Eloise in the recliner, and Eero sits criss-crossed on the floor.

"Big news guys!" Eric claps his hands together.

Ean groans, "Mom's pregnant again?"

"Yay!" Eero shouts.

"No." Eric frowns. "No, that's not the news."

"Aw," Eli frowns next to me.

"What is it dad?" Eloise asks.

"Well, your dear old dad is now the head of Dauntless! I'm the new leader. Max has passed away." Eric smiles and can barely contain his excitement.

"That's awesome dad!" Phoenix shouts.

"Wait so moms not pregnant?" Eero asks confused.

"No stupid," Ean yells.

"Mom is not pregnant and I am the new leader of this faction." Eric bends over and ruffles Eero's hair.

"That's great dad," Eloise stands up to hug Eric. Eli joins, then Phoenix, then Eero. Ean and Emery stay in their seats.

"Time for some pancakes!" Eric yells and claps his hands together, more awake than he ever is in the morning. "Who wants some?"

"Me!" The kids all scream and run into the kitchen. That's my cue to follow them and start the pancakes.

While the children talk at the table Eric stands next to me as he helps me cook the pancakes. "So, what does this mean exactly?"

"This means I'm in charge. I may work a bit more, but for the most part no change. I'll just be on call when I am off."

I frown. "I won't see you much?"

"You will. I'll visit you. Max, may he Rest In Peace, was a lazy leader. He made me pick up most of the responsibility and make the rounds, it won't be like that with me."

I smirk at him. "Of course not. You hold all the power now."

"Exactly. I need to name a new number two."

"Serena?"

"That's who I was thinking." He smiles.

I nod my head as I finish up the last batch of pancakes. "Should I take more time off?"

"I mean with the pay raise I'm getting it really doesn't matter if you ever work again, it's your call." Eric shrugs.

"I meant for the kids. If you're gone a lot, maybe I should just stay home like the old days."