Chapter 3

Every time I walk into the fear simulation room with Four I feel tense and nervous that my fear of Eric is going to appear, I have to get over my fear with him, they're going to watch it, the dauntless leaders are going to watch my fear landscape at the end of this phase of training. Eric is a dauntless leader- he's going to see him in my landscape.

"Elena-" Four begins to say like every time.

"No, Four." I shake my head.

"Maybe if you talk to-"

"I can't. I don't want to talk to anyone about it." I continue to shake my head.

"Eric watches all the simulation to make sure-" he cuts himself off. "He'll see your fear simulation of him. If you're in danger by him you have to tell me."

"I'm not in danger." I repeat.

"You are a great Candor." He looks up at me, "because you aren't a very good liar."

"Four..." I want to tell him I do, but I can't.

"Sometime being brave is to admit when you're scared." Four continues to fidget with the fear serum.

"I don't want to talk about it." I say relaxing my muscles. Four lifts his shoulders and injects the serum into my neck.

**

I wake up sick, "are you okay?" Christina asks me.

"I'm just nervous about today." I say to her. Today is the day we go into our fear landscape it is the last phase and our ranks will determine where we stand among all the initiates, the top get us the best job. I start heavily throwing up.

"Lets get you to the nurse, you can't show up to the test like this." Christina wraps her arm around me and brings me to the infirmary to get something for an upset stomach. The nurse started asking me questions, even took bloodwork, like I said I'm glad I'm not scared of needles.

"You're pregnant." The nurse crosses her arms.

I swallow hard. "I can't be."

"You are. Congratulations." She says the least bit excited for me.

I walk out of the nurses room and Christina is waiting for me. "Did they give you anything?"

I can't tell Christina, "yeah." I smile weakly at her.

"You're lying." she says.

Crap, I forgot she's from Candor too.

"I'm not lying."

"You're lying again." She puts her hand on her hips. "I know we aren't the best of friends Elena but, I care for you."

"Thanks." I say, "we have to get going though."

We make our way into the room where the tests are being administered, there are a lot of people there. Dauntless born go first, all you can see up on the screen is there time, the fears are only seen by dauntless leaders- like Eric.

Uriah waves me over. "Elena!"

"Hey." I say to him, the seats next to him are taken, "you can sit on my lap if you want." He smiles sweetly. I smile back and sit on his lap, he wraps his arms around me.

Should I tell Uriah? Maybe Four was right, if I tell someone maybe the fear will go away. But the fear is there and it is preventing me from telling even Uriah.

After all the dauntless born go and the Drew, Molly, and Christina go it's my turn.

I walk up anxiously, sweat dripping from my palms.