Chapter 71

Weeks have passed and I have been working the initiates to hell, especially Serena.

Today marks the last day, Eric and Max will watch their final fear landscape, they'll be timed and then they will be ranked.

I wait bored near Eric as each one of the initiates go into the chair, from where I'm sitting I can see their landscape--I'm permitted since I'm their instructor.

Each person takes an average of 20 minutes.

I feel myself almost falling asleep as Kyle, the last one, goes through his landscape.

When it's all over we meet in a different room as Max pulls up the board. I sit next to Eric and grab his hand.

Serena
Patrick
Randy
William
Timothy ...

So on.

Fucking Serena got first place.

"I guess we all know who the job is going to now." Eric pipes up.

"What?" I look over to him.

"Wait a minute I have to go congratulate her."

I stand up and trail slowly behind him as he approaches Serena who is smiling and thanking everyone already congratulating her.

"Hey Serena, congratulations on first place. I'd like to offer you the position of working alongside me, as my second in command." Eric offers her a hand shake.

She wraps her arms around Eric's body, I watch as she closes her eyes as her head rests against his chest. "Thank you, sir. I accept."

"Report to me at my office Monday morning." Eric orders and gets himself out of the hug.

Serena nods her head and then continues to walk away with Patrick at her side.

"Wow," I look over at Eric. "Your second in command."

"A job you turned down, my love." He gives me a look.

I've never felt more idiotic than I do right now. "Now I have to work in intelligence thanks to you, my love."

"You did it to yourself. Do not blame me for this, Elena." His tone warning me.

"I did not," I cross my arms. "You could've helped me stay at the wall."

"How is that fair to the soldiers hired and trained to fill the positions?" He tilts his head.

I huff. "When do I report for intelligence?"

"Monday morning."

I nod my head. "Yes, sir."

"Not to worry. I'll pop in on you still." He smiles.

"We always have such fun at work when we're together," I say sarcastically.

"If you don't want me coming around then fine. I won't bother. I just thought it would help your insecurities." He furrows his eyebrows.

"You know what it'll turn into if you do visit me. I can't resist you in uniform." I smile.

"Now that's more like what I like to hear." His lips curl into a smile.

"Wait," I put my hand on his chest. "What insecurities?"

"With my new number two."

"I don't have any insecurities. She's hardly a replacement compared to me."

"I just wanted to reassure you."

I give him a small peck on the lips as we continue on enjoying the initiates party.