Chapter 67

The day of surgery was stressful, I kept close to Eric and it was hard saying goodbye to the children when I know they wanted to come. I don't trust them in Erudite--even if Eric is around. I can't put that on him if he's looking after them and something happens.

After begging the doctors to let Eric stay in the room, Eric called in a favor and he was able to sit in the corner and watch.

It made me feel better about going under. I calmed my breathing so I wouldn't have a panic attack as they began the anaesthetic.

"Count down from 100," the anesthesiologist says.

"100...99...98...97...." Then everything turned black.

I had visions that I was falling in a never ending pit, visions of Daniel and Jeanine, visions I have everyday. I look around and I can't find Eric, I scream, he's nowhere to be found.

Eric.

****

I woke up groggily in one of Erudites hospital rooms.

I panic slightly when I don't see Eric, but then he snaps up from his seat to the right of me and grabs my hand.

"Eric," my voice is tired and my blurred vision is still regaining clarity. "Did everything go okay?" I'm too nervous to move my bandaged up knee.

The doctor cuts Eric off as he comes in his Erudite blue and is holding a clipboard. "Mrs. Coulter," he smiles at me. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," I look at him wearily. Don't they usually act nice before bad news.

"Surgery was a success." He finally says. "I want you to take it easy. No walking for a few days, then you'll have physically therapy at least three to four times a week. After a about 7 to 8 weeks I want you to come back here and I'll either give you the okay, or not, to go back to work."

"Thank you doctor," I say and he nods his head and then pivots on his feet out the door. I look over at Eric so happy, then I frown. "I couldn't find you." I reach for his hand wanting him close by me.

"I've always been right by your side."

"I didn't know where you went."

"I've been right here." He reassures.

I nod my head and close my eyes.

***

Following this week I was able to go home I was still in a wheelchair, I had slowly started working with a physical therapist at the hospital on how to navigate my new knee. It took a lot, and I don't exactly feel right and it feels as if I took three steps back, but I'm hopeful to say the least.

The children rush to see me. We didn't want them visiting me in the hospital.

Everyday was the same repetitive routine, Eric has taken some time off work to help me with appointments and exercises. Within weeks I was starting to feel better and my appointment to see if I could go back to work was coming up.

As the weeks progressed Eric became increasingly more aggravated. Because of surgery Eric and I haven't had sex and we've been more than tense. Not to mention difference of opinions.

The following week I was told I could return to work but nothing too strenuous. I nodded my head and thanked the doctor. Eric barely said a word the whole entire appointment, he sat back and crossed his arms for the majority.

I rolled my eyes and silently huffed in my mind. I don't know what his problem is, then again...we've been joined at the hips for months.

"What's your problem?" I nudge him in the gut.