Chapter 96

***ERIC's POV***

Back to work. I rise much earlier than Elena. I get dressed, kiss her on the forehead, and head out the door. She was exhausted yesterday after her argument with Ean. I love having a big family, don't get me wrong, but there always seems to be something wrong with someone. I make myself coffee when I finally get to my office. My work unloads on me as someone knocks at the door. I'm surprised to find that it's Robert, one of my most loyal guards.

"Sir, I'm sorry to bother but the prisoner is being very vocal today. He keeps yells for you."

"Thank you Robert. I'll be down to his cell after my cup of coffee."

Robert salutes me and carries on with his shift as I carry on myself with my coffee.

I walk down the stone steps to the dungeon cells that have barely any light streaming into them.

"Zeke, what can I assist you with?" I give the perpetrator my most vicious smile.

"Just the man I wanted to see," he smirks. "I've been rotting in this dungeon, it's very boring. Are you going to release me because...I've done no wrong, no treason, you have no reason to keep me here."

"Why should I let you go? So you can harass my family?"

Zeke leans in close to me. "Like that divergent child of yours?"

I grab his neck through the cell rails. "You watch your mouth!" I spit and threaten. "You can get sentenced to death for that kind of slander."

"Slander? Why it's the truth. You, your child, and I'm sure Elena can get the death sentence for defending their divergence."

"That's enough. I'm through with you. You're to be sentence in a couple days. Say your goodbyes."

"To who? My brother?" Zeke calls to me. "The only person I'd want to say goodbye to you killed!"

"I don't think you'll have to say goodbye to him, you'll see him soon." I flash him a smile and leave.

Two days later, Ean, Eloise, and Phoenix meet me to execute the execution. It was a learning opportunity for all three of them, when I'm gone they'll be the ones to lead this compound together as one.

I hand out the guns to all three of them after mixing them up so I don't know which one holds the bullet.

"Ready?" I ask the three of them.

They all nod and place their guns on Zeke's head.

"Any last words?" I taunt Zeke.

"Divergent." Is all he says before I give the okay to the three of them to shoot.

"Serena was relieved not to be the one to do this, this time. How do you two feel?" Ean asks Eloise and Phoenix.

"I had the bullet," Eloise says softly.

"It definitely wasn't me." Phoenix motions to Zeke's lifeless carcass.

"Good job you three." I congratulate them smiling. Each one gets a pat on the back, except for Eloise, she gets a hug.

"Dad..." she groans out of my hug.

"What did he mean?" Phoenix asks. "Divergent."

"He was threatening our family claiming to call us all divergent. Divergent are the freaks of the factions, they get killed." I explain.

"Is Eero divergent?" Eloise asks.

"No, he's just an odd child." I laugh.

"I don't understand, why would he think we're divergent? Are one of us divergent?"