Chapter 72 (Special Eric's POV Chapter)

*****ERIC'S POV*****

A month or two with my new right-hand seemed to fly by and Serena was nothing but perfect at every task we had to conqueror.

At home life with Elena and the kids was good, Elena seemed to enjoy her safe surveillance job among her friends and I was glad that I could provide that for her. I knew they could look over her and the distance with us at work would only do wonders, yet somehow Elena would give me attitude here and there. There was nothing for her to be jealous of, but she managed to be anyways.

Ean and Phoenix, the biggest fighters out of all my kids both maintained out of trouble for the time in school. Eloise was still my little perfect princess. Emery was still smart as hell, he's been focusing on blueprints lately and filling his room up with a ton. Eli is good, still somewhat intimidated by me, no matter how hard I try. Then there's little baby Eero, I still don't know what to say or do in regards to him, but I love him just as much as all of the others.

Last night I took all the kids to one of the bigger gyms in the compound after renting it out of the night and we had ourselves a little family fun night at the gym. It was full of sparring and giggles. Elena even found a way to get them all involved somehow.

So far today I spent my time roaming with Serena. We were making our daily rounds around the compound. I found it easy to get to know her and talk to her. I even found myself laughing at certain things she said, especially when she confessed that she was purposely getting under Elena's skin during initiation training and so we laughed about her getting punched in the face. Serena and I both had the Erudite upbringing which meant we had the same crassness and humor that most people would never understand about us. She's a phenomenal soldier and if I were to become head of Dauntless, which I will in a few years, I would definitely appoint her to be in my position now. I think I would need someone just like that.

"I'm thinking about bring my eldest son to work tomorrow, he's been dying to have a day with me, you won't mind-would you?" I turn to her.

"I don't mind at all. Ean, right? That's the eldest one?" Serena gave me her undivided attention, as always.

"Yes. That's the one." I smile at her. In my mind I instantly regret it because I have the feeling my wife will interpret it all the wrong way.

Despite my arguments, Elena still thinks that Serena has her sights set on me. It's really not like that, at least not anymore.

"Do you remember Patrick, from my initiation class?" Serena asks interrupting my thoughts.

"Yeah, why?" I grunt out.

"I have a date with him tomorrow. I'm not really sure what to think about it. We've know each other since we were kids and I don't want to ruin that friendship, ya' know?" She tilts her head.

"No. I don't." I chuckle. "I never really had friends until Elena and even she's not a friend."

"Oh Eric, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, knowing you." She rolls her eyes.

"Don't be worried. It'll go fine." I reassure her. The kids these days. I feel so old like I'm mentoring Serena sometimes. It's strange to me that when Elena was her age, Ean was cooking inside her.

By now it's lunch and I make my way to the crowded cafeteria, Serena leading the way when we across and a macho man, much like myself, isn't watching where he's going and he nearly knocks over Serena, that is, until I unthinkingly caught her.

Having Serena in this weird dip position where I could do was slightly panic and stare into her wide doe-like eyes killed me. To be having a moment like that in the middle of a crowded cafeteria killed me, but then to have both her man and my wife there killed me even more. I quickly swooped her petite body up, but it was already too late. The entire cafeteria was staring. Elena included.