Chapter 4

I head back to the dormitory with tears flooding down my face. I can't do this, I can't pretend to be with him because of a baby, better said- I don't want him with me because of a baby. I don't want this baby. I want to be dauntless, I want to scale buildings, hold a gun, protect, serve. I can't be a single mother, that's exactly what I would be even if Eric wanted this baby which I know he won't ever be here for.

"Elena." I hear a voice call out to me. It's Uriah.

"You heard it didn't you?" I say turning away from him.

"Yeah." He sits down next to me. "Eric's baby huh?" He says quietly.

I lean my head against his shoulder, a tear falls from my eye. "What am I going to do?"

"If Eric wants nothing to do with it I'll help you, I can help you through this." He grabs my hand. For once I'm lucky somebody cares about me.

"I can't ask you do to that, Uriah." I frown.

"You didn't ask me anything." Uriah smiles.

"You know what I meant." I say wiping my tears with my sleeve.

"Did he..." Uriah looks away from me. I know actually what he's going to ask.

"No." I say to him. He looks relieved. "It was just one stupid night."

He took me when I was most vulnerable, he was my first time and he took a part of me that I'll never get back. I wanted it back, I want my life back. I want to be a happy Dauntless initiate who just found out they're now a member of the faction. But I'm not happy.

Eric steps into the dormitory startling both Uriah and I.

"You can't have a minute alone with her." Uriah grabs my hand.

"Uriah..." I say softly.

"No," he says looking at me. He stands up challenging Eric's authority. "You're so oblivious to see that Elena is perfect, she's sweet and nice and badass. You're an idiot for wanting to give up both her and this baby. You're a coward."

"Watch it." Eric says through gritted teeth.

"What are you going to do about it?" Uriah takes a step closer to Eric. I notice Uriahs hands clench into fists.

They both throw punches at each other, fighting. "Stop!" I yell, "Stop! You're hurting each other!" I try to break it up but I get punched in the nose by Uriah.

"Elena." Uriah grabs me. I put my hand up against my face, blood is spilling from my nose. "You idiot!" Eric yells at Uriah. Eric raises his hand to throw a punch, but I yell "stop."

They both look at me.

I grab my nose. "Let me talk to Eric for a minute. I'll catch up with you soon." I say in defeat. Eric wasn't going to give up talking to me.

Uriah shakes his head and anger and then storms away.

"What do you want?" I say still grasping my nose.

"It doesn't look broken." He touches my face.

"Why do you care?"

"Elena." He says annoyed. "Listen to me would ya?"

I cross my arms waiting.

"I admit you were a one night stand to me, but this is a child, a baby. I mean...I may be a-"

"Jerk, despicable, satanic, manipulative-"

Eric cuts me off, "Enough," he sighs, "But this child is mine."

"You're a dauntless leader. What do you care?" I scowl. "Just take the get out of jail free card. Please. I know you don't want it."

"Aren't you listening to me? It's my child as much as it's yours!" He shouts.

"No! No this is my child! I don't see you carrying it!" I say unfairly.

"You want me to..." he pauses as he stumbles on his words, "You want me to push away from you. Why?"

"Because all you're going to do is hurt me. You even admitted it!"

"Admitted what?!" He shouts in anger. His eyes look dark.

"You said you admit it was a one night stand when we," I look around, "had sex," I say quietly, "I told you it was my first time and you completely ruined that, you didn't care, I was just like all the other girls you've fu-"

"It was my first time too." He says quietly.

"What?" I say. What did he say? I know what I heard isn't true.

He gives me an irritated glare, "You heard me." He scowls.

"You never..I-I just thought..." I don't continue my sentence.

"You took mine and I took yours. I didn't take advantage of you."

"Yes, you did. Maybe it wasn't a big deal to you but it was to me."

He chuckles, "Then why didn't you stop me?"

"Huh?" I say quietly.

"If it meant this great big deal to you why didn't you tell me no, why didn't you back out and go home. You continued, and as much as you like to claim you hated it that's not what you would've said in the moment." He smirks. "I wasn't taking advantage of you when you were moaning my name."

I feel disgusted by him, I want to slap the smirk off his face. My lips curl down and my eyebrows furrow together, "You son of a-"

"You know it's true." He cockily says. "I know you aren't going to, take care of this." He says pointing to my stomach. "You're gonna keep it and as long as that thing lives it'll be mine. My child."

"I don't see why you could care less."

"God dammit Elena, why are you so stubborn. This is a child, my child, I'm not some heartless-"

"Yes, you are." I say coldly. "I've heard things about you Eric. If something stands in your way, man, women, child, you'll do whatever it takes. I know all about your plans."

"My plans?"

I know he's working with Erudite, I've overheard it from a few people. I know erudite is hunting Divergence, I overheard Will telling that to Tris and Christina the other day. It made me think what if our child was Divergent, would he give it up to Jeanine Matthews, ruins its life. I think for his job he would, that's the type of person Eric is.

"Never mind." I shake my head. "I know you don't care for anyone out yourself." I want to storm out but Eric doesn't let me.

"I may not be the nicest person on the planet but I'm not giving up. As long as the baby lives in your stomach I'm not giving up on you."

Instead he storms out and I take a deep breath and start to sob. I have no clue what to do in this moment.