Chapter 74

Serena is on the ground with Eric, there's so much blood.

Serena is crying out in what sounds like pain.

"Are you hurt?" I say to her as she grabs her stomach. My mind is running wild.

"I-I-I-" Her voice is shaky in between sobs. Her body is shaking uncontrollably and the pool of body around them only grows. "No!" She cries out holding her stomach.

"Help is on the way," I say to Serena not sure what to do at this point. My focus quickly turns to Eric's body on the ground. I check his breathing, shallow. "Eric, Eric honey wake up!" I sob as I lightly hit his face. I put my hand over his wound to stop the bleeding a bit.

Eric groans.

"Stay with me," I cry. "You can't die."

Serena sobs as her hands are covered in her own blood and mine are covered in Eric.

It seems like I'm waiting forever, but Erudite finally arrives and the doctors take Eric and Serena away. I meet them in the hospital.

I wait in the lobby for an hour before the doctors tell me Serena is ready for visitors, Eric is still in surgery.

I nod my head to thank the doctor. Erudite still gives me the chills. I walk into Serena's room. Her eyes red and puffy from crying--as are mine.

"You okay?"

"N-no. I-I lost the baby. Patrick isn't here. Eric got shot." Serena sniffles.
I grab her hand. "I called Patrick. He's on his way." I try to stay calm for her sake.

She nods. "Thank you. I-Is he still in surgery?"

"Yes," I try to fight back whatever tears were burning in my eyes. "Don't worry about him. You need to rest."

"What's the point in that? I'm not pregnant anymore."

"I know it feels like the end of the world but it isn't. I'm so sorry for your loss Serena, but you'll be okay, I promise."

"Will you let me know when Eric gets out of surgery?"

Before I can say anything Patrick shoots through the door. "Serena," he runs to her side and grabs her hand kissing her forehead. "I'm so glad you're okay."

"Patrick." Serena starts to cry again. "I lost the baby. I lost our baby. I'm so sorry."

He grabs her head and pulls it to his chest, he runs his fingers through her hair. "Shh, shh, it's okay."

I take a step back and escape the room before they can notice me leaving.

I wait for hours outside the lobby, I don't exactly know how long it is but I end up falling asleep. Flint shakes me awake.

"Flint," I cry grabbing his arm. "Is he okay?"

"Okay is a relative term. He's in a coma. He might never wake up." He says emotionless.

My heart begins to pound out of my chest and I start to have trouble breathing. "Can I see him?" I gulp.

Flint nods his head and leads me to Eric's hospital room.

I ran to Eric's side, he has a breathing tube lodged in his throat, his skin is pale, his eyes shut. He's shirtless and has a large bandage on his chest.

"Eric," I sob. "Eric, I'm here. Wake up."

Nothing.

****

24 hours have passed and I was getting extremely nervous about Eric. Serena was released a few hours ago and has been staying in the room with me.

"Thank you," I grab the coffee from her hands that she got me. "Really, you should go home. You need your rest."