Chapter 81

****a year later****

Sitting in the seats waiting with all the other Dauntless at the choosing ceremony was nerve wrecking even more so than it was with Ean.

My leg shakes jittery and Eric puts his hand on my knee. Emery's blond hair is cut short, he's tall and skinny and his blue eyes popping against his pale skin. The black Dauntless clothes he's wearing has never suited him and probably never will, he belongs in one type of clothing and after today it's all I'll ever see him in for the rest of my life.

"Emery Coulter," they call his name.

Emery stands up and I squeeze his hand as he lets go and walks down the steps and toward the five bowls. He cuts his hand eloquently and stands there for a tad longer than Ean did. Ean went straight to Dauntless dripping his blood.

Emery seems to stare back and forth between Dauntless and Erudite. I look at Eric, but Eric's eyes are glued on Emery.

"Erudite," I hear Marcus Eaton's voice say.

I quickly wipe away a tear as I clap for my son. Eric does the same. I watch as he sits with the sea of blue. His faction.

Eric and I leave early to prep for the new imitates.

It feels weird coming back to Dauntless without a child, it's like a missing hole in my heart and I wonder if Eric feels it too.

I wait anxiously down below near the net.

"Someone's gotta jump first, who's it going to be?" I hear Eric's voice echoes from above.

An Erudite born jumps first to my surprise.

"Welcome to Dauntless, what's your name?"

"Liam," he smiles at me.

"Nice to meet you," I help him out of the net and he walks over to Lauren. Liam has dark brown hair and Hazel eyes, he's tall and lanky but has a good sense of muscles on him. Brave so it seems too.

By the time they all jump I count all the transfers. 7 Erudite, 3 Candor, 1 Amity, 1 Abnegation. I've never had an Abnegation before.

All day at training I feel distracted, my initiates I think can tell too. I don't work with them much, I tell them what to do and then I sit alone to reflect on what Emery is going right now.

"That's it for today. Head back to the dormitory and I'll see you all at six in the morning. No one better be late," I growl.

Heading home there was a certain eeriness to the hallways, I knew that when I open the door to the apartment it'll be different. So when I finally turn the doorknob to the apartment my remaining children are all sitting on the couch. Phoenix, Eli, Eloise and Eero.

"So?" Eli speaks up. "Did he go to Erudite?"

Phoenix and the twins are fourteen, they turn fifteen late this year. Their age difference with Emery was barely a year, eleven months to be exact. Next year will be their initiation ceremony--all three of them. They turn sixteen next year but because of their birthdays during the ceremony they won't be sixteen yet.

"Yeah, he went to Erudite." I say to the children.

They have the same look of emptiness on their faces.

"He'll be happy there," Eloise speaks up. "We always knew this was going to happen," she says to her sad looking brothers. "We should be happy for him."

Eero nods his head and perks up. "As long as he's happy."

"As long as he's happy," Phoenix repeats.