Chapter 14

When getting back to Dauntless, Max was the first one to congratulate Eric. Eric stands tall and proud next to me who's holding the baby. Eric excuses us as we head back to his apartment so I can get some rest. Eric brought in all of the baby's things I had bought when I was with Peter. While he set everything up I took a nap

"How long have I been asleep?" I rub my eyes.

"Ten hours? I think." Eric spoke softly. Ean must be sleeping.

"What have you been doing?" I ask him, he sits on the edge of the bed.

"Watching him." He slowly admits, "I just wanted to make sure I didn't break him earlier."

I roll my eyes, "you aren't going to hurt him."

"No one ever will."

I put my hand on his bicep and rub my thumb along his skin.

"This doesn't change anything." Eric backed away from me.

"What?" I look confused at him.

"I'm not going soft for you. Or anyone. Ever." He looked sternly at me.

"I didn't say..." my voice trails off.

"Good. Watch him now that you're up. I have work to do." With that he stormed away.

He slammed the door and woke the baby up. I sigh and get up to comfort Ean.

Peter poked his head in. "Hey."

"Are you back to normal now," I sigh.

"Are you?"

"What're you talking about?"

"Two words; pregnancy hormones." He laughs.

I roll my eye, I'm bouncing up and down trying to comfort Ean who won't stop crying now, "I don't know what he wants." I groan.

"Well I don't know what he wants either," Peter shrugs his shoulders. "Feed him."

I go to the kitchen to make some formula, I wish I had my mother here to tell me what to do. Then again, I don't because that means I'd be back in Candor. Even Eric's mother could've helped, then again, what kind of lady was she that Eric is so hostile and angry all the time.

I heard a knock on the door, "Peter can you get that?" I say.

Peter is silent and then I hear the door open and then murmuring. Then shouting, I rush into the living before he wakes up the baby once more.

"You guys have to qui-" I'm startled by who is standing in the living room. Uriah. "What're you doing here?"

"I heard you had the baby," he smiles weakly.

"Yeah. And?"

"I-I want to say congratulations and to see if you're okay."

"I'm fine, no thanks to you."

"Listen, Elena. I'm sorry I-I..."

"I'm waiting."

"I really like you Elena. I just hated seeing you with that, that meathead. He doesn't deserve you!"

"It's doesn't matter what he deserves! Uriah, this is his son."

"No I know, I know but you don't have to be with him." Uriah takes a step closer to me. "You know it's your choice being with him, you can blame it on the baby as much as you want. It's your choice to be with him."