Chapter 1

My blood drips into the coal, I hear the sizzle. My heart is beating intensely fast, did I make the right choice? I turn around from the bowls and don't dare to look back at my old faction- Candor.

I slowly make my way to where the dauntless are sitting. I take a deep breath everyone congratulates me but I sit there silently picking at my fingernails. I'm wearing a white jacket and black pants, normal for a Candor to wear, but not a Dauntless. I'd have to throw out my clothes and wear Dauntless black.

Throughout the choosing ceremony I notice there are a lot of people from Candor. A few I recognize, Christina, she was in my history class- a loud mouth, Peter and his crew, Molly and Drew, all assholes. Then, Al a big guy, he mainly kept to himself. The rest of the transfers so far are Amity, Erudite and even one from Abnegation.

We all run out of the choosing Ceremony when the last person makes there decision. I follow the crowd of Dauntless outside as they maneuver through people trying to clear the street for us. This is who I am now.

I'm Dauntless.

We climb up metal poles that hold the tracks of the train that runs throughout the city. They don't expect us to jump onto the train do we? I begin to sweat, but I run alongside the train anyways and jump on.

Christina jumps on after me and then the Abnegation girl does. I sit quietly to myself.

"Beatrice." I overhear the Abnegation girl introduce herself to Christina.

I notice one of the initiates fail, they're left behind, just like that, factionless. I close my eyes and sigh and throw my head back against the walls of the train. Just as I catch my breath I overhear Beatrice say, "they're jumping."

What? We have to jump off the train now? I stand up and dust off my white jacket, I watch the boys jump off first, Christina and Beatrice just stare out the train. I run pass them, jumping and hitting the ground hard, at least I made it, I think to myself.

My knee is scrapped from landing on it, I'm pretty sure it's bleeding. Christina and Beatrice jump out of the train and land, they start to chuckle a little bit which makes me loosen up a tad. All of a sudden I hear a blood curdling scream, someone didn't make it. Dead on the pavement. I gulp hard but I know we have to move on.

"Listen up!" a man with tattoos on his neck, piercings in his eyesbrows says. "My name is Eric. I am one of the leaders here at Dauntless-"

His voice seems to escape me as I look around at all the initiates. The dauntless born seem to be more than prepared, it is there faction I mean. I'm just a small Candor girl, around the size of the Abnegation girl, Beatrice, maybe even smaller. I'm five feet, I gave it a lot of thought last night what faction to choose. I couldn't stay in Candor, I'm not smart enough for Erudite, Abnegation wasn't even considered and option and I'm not about Amity's niceness. Dauntless--I thought long and hard about it. Maybe having someone else as tiny as me here is good. At least I'll have someone to beat in fights.

Why would you even transfer into Dauntless being abnegation, just stay a stiff. I almost say something, but I realize I have to let go of my previous Candor ways of being straightforward. Do I even know how? I prepared for Candor my whole life. What if I made the wrong decision though? No, I had to, there's no going back and changing.

"Someone's gotta jump first," Eric says. "Who's it gonna be?"

"Me." Beatrice says before I can open my mouth. We both look at each other. She doesn't hesitate to make her way through the crowd and jumps first. Soon enough people begin lining up to jump right after her. My courage backs out and I make my way to the back of the line formed itching nervously at my elbow.