Chapter 93

I scramble around the house to get the kids ready for initiation day. Mainly I was worried about Eli, but I knew better than to vocalize it; especially to Eric.

I put on my uniform and pull my hair up in a ponytail. I watch as Eric navigates into his uniform the sleeves tighten around his biceps.

I walk over to him and place my hands on his strong arms. "I think you need to go a size up on your shirts," I smile.

He buttons up the rest of his shirt and bends down to kiss my forehead.

I head into the kitchen and throw the kids water bottles and fruit. Eloise an apple, Phoenix an orange, and Eli a banana--their favorites.

"Let's get moving," I call out to everyone as we all go to the auditorium where the fear landscapes will be broadcasted.

None of the children are first as I administer three Dauntless boys before Eli is called next. I can see that his palms are sweating as he sits in the chair.

As I inch closer to his neck with the needle I whisper, "Find a way to get out and take your time."

He nods his head.

"Good luck," I press the serum into him.

I walk where Eric, Serena, and Ean are as we sit to watch Eli's fears on the computer screen.

His fears start off the same as they did when I entered them with him.

"He looks good so far," Eric whispers to me.

"Not enough for first," Ean seemed to of overheard his father.

His time was 11 minutes 7 seconds.

Two transfers and three Dauntless go before Phoenix is called. Yesterday I learned he was on first place, he does good right now he'll keep his spot.

Phoenix's fear landscape starts off with Audrey.

Fear 2, rejection.

Fear 3, torture.

Fear 4, wasps.

Fear 5, restraint.

Fear 6, death of his family.

Fear 7, going insane.

Time, 8 minutes and 47 seconds.

Eloise is the last one of the initiate class to go.

She sits in the chair and I whisper "Good luck," as I put her under the serum.

Her fear starts with Liam and every boy she is with in the simulation getting murdered by Eric.

Her second fear, torture.

Her third fear, failure, not being good enough.

Fear 4, death of her family--like everyone's so far.

Fear 5, being lost.

Fear 6, fire.

Then fear 7, same amount as Phoenix, humiliation.

Time, 8 minutes and 47 seconds.

I look at Eric.

"We're going to have to count milliseconds." He says aloud.

They put the scores up in the board along with their times.

Eloise 8:47:21
Phoenix 8:47:32
Blair 9:18:13
Helena 9:47:58
Jackson 10:59:03
Eli 11:07:08
Lily 11:13:17

I look over at the kids who all look happy. Phoenix and Eloise scuffling slightly, but at the end he hugs her and then it's my turn to be a mother as I hug and kiss all of them--it's followed by a lot of "Mom!"