Chapter 44

*********five years later***********

Ean is now eight years old; he's been doing...well in school but he's rambunctious and talks out of term, we get a lot of phone calls home. He has no interest in anything but of what his father does and for the most part seems determined to stay in Dauntless and even threatens to take Eric's place as leader. It's fun to watch them taunt and play with each other.

Emery is now six and a half and he's been striving in school, we take him to see a therapist and still try out best with his autism, he's warmed up to me a lot but as far as warming up to Eric he still shies away from his father. Emery looks a great deal like Eric, probably the most, his hair a darker blond and resembles mine and Eric's. Ean on the other hand has bright blond hair I don't really know where that came from. Emery is smart, really intelligent for his age, he asks for books and has no interest in playing with the other Dauntless kids. Sometimes he asks me to come into his room and watch him as he reads--he refuses to read aloud.

The twins are nearly six years old and they just started school a year behind Emery. Eli is always running his mouth; a troublemaker, he gets unders Eric skin which makes me laugh. He reminds me a lot of myself. Eli has darker blond hair like Emery whereas Eloise has golden blonde hair that curls spirally, she looks like a mini me. Although I can't say I could ever see Eloise in Candor, she adores Eric, cries for Eric. It's cute actually.

We still don't know Phoenix's birthday so we made one up as we went. We made his birthday one month older than the twins. He's in the same grade as Eloise and Eli and so far we haven't gotten any questions that would force us to tell him the truth about his real mother. I adopted him shortly after Audrey's death and he calls me mom. He has the darkest features that would be hard to believe he was ever Eric's kid--if his face didn't look exactly like him. Aside from the dark brown eyes and hair he looks like Emery and could pass as fraternal to the twins.

They all seem happy and fine and five years is a lot of time for Eric and I, we've been married six years. Sure we've had our ups and down and we fought...a lot, but majority we've been in love and experienced a world of things together.

The children all left for school and finally, finally I get Eric to myself. I wake up and make him breakfast and coffee--a special occasion he knows nothing about.

I cut my golden hair a year ago, it went from my ribs now to my shoulders, it makes me look older--not that 26 is old but, I do have five children and that's pretty young.

"Morning!" I smile and place a plate of eggs in bacon in front of him. And of course his morning cup of coffee.

"Good morning?" He grumbles confused.

I sit in front of him and grab his hand, my other hand tucks a piece of hair behind my ear. "I have something to tell you."

"Shit, did I forget our anniversary!?"

I look at him and squint my eyes, our anniversary isn't for months. "Nooo," I say.

"Oh? Then what is this about?"

"I know we didn't plan for this, and we also didn't plan really any of them but...I'm pregnant." I smile.

"That's impossible." He observes me.

"What do you think I cheated on you?" I more or less joke.

"No? We haven't done anything in awhile and that really wasn't anything to get you pregnant- are you sure it's not a false positive?"

I frown. "You're not happy?"

"I guess I am." He exhales.

I wanted to ring his neck from across the table. "You're not," not a question but a statement.