Chapter 5

We we're assigned work the next day and I didn't know what I wanted to do. I sat waiting to pick whatever job is left that Tris, Uriah, Marlene and Peter didn't take.

Of course Eric is the one I have to tell.

"Do you know what job you want?" He asks sitting behind a desk, his hands locked together and on the back of his neck, he's leaning back in his chair.

"No." I say quietly.

"You should get a safe jo-"

"That's not why I joined Dauntless." I say infuriated. I think of the list of jobs I can have and then I say, "I want the wall."

"What?"

"You heard me. I want to guard the wall." I cross my arms.

"No. I won't assign you."

"So what? Am I gonna have to take this up with Max?"

"Elena," Eric pinches the bridge of his nose. "You don't understand."

"I understand completely. Stop treating me like you can control me, you can't."

"You're going to get hurt going out to the wall and protecting the streets."

"Good." I stand up from the chair and storm out of the room.

"You okay?" Uriah asks.

"Yeah," I lie.

"What job did you get?"

"Outside." I say simply.

"Me to." Uriah smiles. "Tris picked the job I wanted."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay," he's still smiling. That's what I love about Uriah is he's never in a bad mood.

**

Next day we all had to move out of the dormitory, it was time to find an apartment. When I looked the option was very little and you'll never guess where I wound up living, a little too close to Eric's. Uriah insisted that we get a place together- as friends, so he put it. I wanted to say yes I did but I think a little part of me hopes Eric keeps up wanting to protect me but- I don't think it'll last. I told Uriah no and he said it's okay, and I suggested we can have a bunch of sleepovers. He smiles.

The next morning after getting settled into my new apartment I had to wake up 8 am for work. My first day at the job.

I show up and whoever is in charge walks up to me and asks, "what are you doing here?"

"I chose to be here." I say confused.

"No. You're not on my list."

I can feel my hands start to form a fist. Eric.

I rush to find him, he's with Max. He doesn't look worried that I just barged in, then again I don't even think he knows what that expression is.

"Candor what are you doing here." He says like he's putting on a show.

"Stop calling me that!" I shout, it throws Max back a little. "I'm Elena, Candor is not my faction- and I'm not associated with it!"

"El-" Eric begins but I interrupt him.

"Why did you write down another job for me. I showed up for wall duty like an idiot!" I say fuming.

"I-"

"What job did you assign me to?"

Eric stands up irritated by me. He slams his hand down on the table not on purpose it's just his force is so rough. "You're in intelligence. Go."

"But-"

"Go." He says through gritted teeth.

I storm away in a huff and head to the computers, I see Four and Uriah's elder brother there.

"Elena. You picked intelligence?" Four says raising an eyebrow.

"I thought you were on wall duty with my brother?" Zeke asks.

"I was, but Eric-" I cut myself off and shook my head completely annoyed by what he did, he screwed me over in a job I don't even want.

"Are you still having trouble with Eric?" Four asks.

"I-I don't know."

"We can help you Elena." Zeke says.

"No you can't. You don't understand what I'm going through." I feel like sobbing into my hands but I'm stronger than that.

"Just tell us, maybe we can help you."

"No, not unless you can turn back time."

I was still in a debacle about what to do with the baby, different options flood my mind making it even more confusing to know what to do. I don't know what to do.

"Elena, seriously, what's going on? We can help you figure this out. If you want to stay away from Eric we can-"

"I'm pregnant." I admit to them.

"W-What?" Zeke says his eyebrows raised up.

"With Eric's?" Four asks sternly.

"Yes." Now I'm sobbing into my hands. Then I realize how uncomfortable that must be for them and I take a deep breath and stop.

"There's other things you can do. You can give the child up, you can-"

"I don't know what to do. I don't know what I want to do." I admit. "I'm sixteen, I just..." I trail off into my own thoughts.

"Does Eric know?" Four asks.

"Yes."

"And?" Zeke asks.

"I don't know, he says it's his child but I have a hard time he knows what that means he's eighteen he doesn't understand. He's cruel and vicious and he's not going to take care of a baby, he's the youngest dauntless leader- he has everything he could ever want. A baby is just going to mess that up for him." I pick at my lips, "I'm trying to back away because it's unrealistic of me to think he'll be the person I want him to be."

Max comes in and I immediately straighten up my posture. "Elena, a word." His voice grumbles.

I nod my head and stand up, I look at Four- his face stern. Then Zeke who looks worried. Max puts his hand on my back and walks me out the door, we take a walk around Dauntless together. His hands are behind his back, mine are picking at the skin around my knuckles nervously.

"The situation with Eric earlier..."

"He told you?"

"I've already known since your fear landscape."

"Right." I say embarrassed.

"I was going to talk about the situation regarding your previous job of working outside at the wall."

"I chose that and he-"

"I don't condone a pregnant lady working at the wall. Intelligence is safer for you-"

"No!" I shout at him, he doesn't flinch and his expression doesn't change, "I want to work guarding the wall. You two are only concerned for me because it's Eric's baby. If it was any one else's you wouldn't care if I died out by the wall. It's the brave thing to do." I mock.

"You're right. Maybe it does have something to with, it's Eric's baby and he's apart of leadership. It's his call. You're working in intelligence." Max says sternly.

I keep my mouth shut, infuriated, annoyed. Max eventually leads me elsewhere to a room.

Eric is sitting there alone, Max pushes me in lightly and then slams the door. Great.