Chapter 38: Problems

A/N: This chapter was meant to be posted on Sunday, but I was too busy watching Beauty and The Beast (and Dan Stevens as The Beast/Prince Adam was 👌). Anyway, enjoy the new new. - Alex xoxo.

~Ariana~

The bristles of the brush were being pressed and swiped against the apples of my cheeks as I applied more colour to my skin to add to the contour.

Michael told me to look 'unrecognizable' but at the same time 'ordinary' enough to blend in well with the crowd.

Mark was back with our disguises by the time Michael and I arrived from the parts junkyard. Based on the disguises Mark brought with him, I would expect that Michael probably will have the most unrecognizable face out of the three of us.

I sighed as I took a look at myself in the mirror of my vanity with my green eyes, that were temporarily covering up its natural brown colour. My face was caked in a lighter shade of foundation with thick makeup on my eyes to enhance and shape the look a bit more, so my eyes wouldn't be as recognizable.

I picked up the wig that was resting on the table as I let it sit on the tips of my fingers. I played with the blond hair that was meant to fall just above my shoulders before I heard light knocks that came from the doorway.

"Come in," I said softly to the person who knocked.

"Hope I wasn't interrupting something," Mark said as I watched him slip inside the room through his reflection on the mirror.

"No you weren't actually, I was just thinking."

Mark made himself comfortable as he sat on the soft Queen double bed nearby, "Really? Do you mind if I asked what you were thinking about?"

I sighed as I placed the wig down on the table in front of me, "It was nothing important, are we ready to go?"

"Nah, Michael's not ready yet," Mark paused as he continued to look at me, as if to study my face on what's exactly going on in my mind.

"How come you don't look any different?" I asked Mark with a chuckle as an attempt to lighten up the air between us.

"I don't think Chandler has seen me yet, I think putting a disguise on is almost unnecessary."

"Well, it's better safe than sorry," Mark nodded at what I was trying to point out before he stood up to make eye contact with me through the mirror.

"Were you and Michael close?" I lifted my eyebrow at Mark at the random change of topic, but I let the thought go as I replied, "Yes, since childhood, apparently."

"Apparently?" Mark repeated, as if he was mentally asking me if I was sure with my answer.

"That's what I said, right?" I answered back in a sassy manner.

Mark picked up on this as he appeared taken aback at my comeback, "No need to be aggressive, girl, I was just asking a casual question."

It didn't sound like it. But then again, there was no harm from asking such a simple question. I honestly didn't knew why I decided to act that way towards him.

"You're right, I'm sorry. I just found it random that you wanted to talk about Michael," I said honestly.

"That's fine, I just wanted to know how much you trust this guy." Now that raised my suspicions much more.

"What do you mean by trust?"

Mark heaved out a nervous yet disappointed sigh, "It's just that Michael," he paused as I turned myself around to face him properly instead of facing him through his reflection in the mirror, "That Michael?"