Chapter 15: Smile and Adore

Michael stopped playing the song on the piano as he looks over to see who just fell through the door, "Who is it?"

"Just me," I responded and I knew that Michael already knew from that response, that it's really me.

I don't know how Michael is really feeling about this right now, but just by looking at his face that was illuminated by the desk lamp, he doesn't look disappointed to see me, in fact he looked glad that I stumbled across him this late at night at school, where no one would find us.

"Ariana?" He called out for me as if he was making sure that I am really there, not some sort of vision in his head.

"Yeah, it's me," I said standing up from the ground. Michael stood up from his seat to take a closer look.

Michael's enthusiasm to see me, quickly turned into a frown as he started talking to himself, walking away from me, "What are you talking about? She's not real. I am dreaming."

I went closer to Michael as he starts to have a panic attack, "Michael, what are you talking about? You are not dreaming,"

"I am! You're just telling me this now because you're not real."

I got really confused with where Michael was going.

Michael kept on telling me to hide where Joseph won't find me and I'm starting to see that he has some sort of paranoia with Joseph.

"Ariana, please hide before he gets here," Michael's voice then got more wobbly, hiding his weak state by facing his back to me.

"Shh, you're not dreaming Michael, I'm here, see?" I wrapped my arms around Michael, his body is shivering like crazy, just like when he was having those bad dreams

"Are you sure that this is real? I'm not dreaming?" He asked me ever so innocently, his breathing getting calmer.

"Yes Michael, this so much better than a dream," I assured him as he stood up from his stool to give me a tight hug, "I hope you're real, I hope you're real," he keeps on repeating the same words over and over again, as if it will become more true if he keeps on repeating the same thing.

I sat Michael back down on his seat and took my chance to apologize, "I am so sorry for what I said earlier, I know that was such a heartless thing to say," I looked down, embarrassed of what I did to Michael. I know Michael doesn't have time for people like me, "I honestly don't blame you if you hate me now, I mean I would-"

"I don't hate you," Michael interrupted me mid sentence. Wait, what?

"What?"

"I don't hate you, but I am, upset, like very upset about it," the weight on my chest got lighter as soon as he told me that he doesn't fully hate me.

"Yeah sure, what you said earlier has hurt my feelings, like a whole lot, but I can't hate you. I love you too much to do that."

I shot my head up to look at Michael as he starts widening his eyes in realization from what he just said, "L-love you as a friend, I've loved you since we were kids, you know?"

"It's okay Michael, I get it, no need to explain anymore," I smiled as I put my hand on top of Michael's, squeezing it tight. I am just glad that Michael and I are getting back into good terms.

"Now, tell me why you thought that I wasn't real?" I asked playfully, just to enlighten the mood a little bit.

Michael was able to pull off a small grin as he looked down in sadness, "It's about Joseph," Oh no, Michael and his nightmares again.