Chapter 22: Bang Bang, Blood On The Dance Floor

"Ariana, I want you to stay close to me tonight," Michael whispered into my ear, as soon as we entered the hall.

"For what reason?" I asked curiously, looking around everybody else in their masks and expensive looking dresses.

"I-I, I can't really explain it right now, I want you to stay by my side all night tonight, okay?" I nodded in response, him being over protective with me is alarming and I want to know why.

"Michael, if this is about Peter,"

"This is worst than Peter," Michael interrupted, hissing at the name, "I'll explain later when all of this is over."

When what will be over? The dance?

"I am so confused," I said, my mind branching out on what he meant by over.

"Relax little girl, enjoy the night while you still can. Just stay close to me," he repeated as we took a seat on a nearby empty table.

"Alright, how is everybody doing?" The emcee's voice echoes through the giant speakers. The crowd cheered on in response.

"That's good, good, it's 8 o'clock, and you know what that means?" Then music for a slow dance starts to play as couples gather around the dance floor, swaying to the sweet music.

"Wanna dance?" I asked Michael beside me.

"Sorry, I don't dance," Michael declined as I make a 'pfft' sound.

"I smell bullshit, you have a dancer's body," Michael widened his eyes at my choice of words, "Ariana, that was not very lady-like."

I rolled my eyes at his parent-like lecture, "And you're not my mama, come, dance with me."

I had to drag Michael out of his seat before we made it on the dance floor with the other couples.

"All you gotta do is you gotta place your hands around my waist," I grabbed his hands and guided it where my waist was, I can feel Michael tensing up at the position of his hands on my body. I blushed once again, but the light was too dim for Michael to see.

I placed my hands around Michael's neck, "Then you just rock to the beat, it's that easy."

Michael rocked to the beat, me leading him at first. Not too long after, Michael lifts his left arm and lightly grasped on my right hand as we took over the dance floor, with him leading me traditionally.

Michael twirled me a couple of times, causing the skirt of my dress to fly outwards, feeling like Cinderella dancing with her Prince Charming. For a moment, it felt like it was just me and Michael on the dance floor and no one else.

Michael finished the dance with the classic dip as the music fades in the background. The crowd who was watching us dance, applauded at our short performance. Michael brought me back up right as we continued to lock our eyes to each other. The claps from the people around us was being muffled out as they don't seem to matter anymore. Our foreheads are now touching, breathing in to each other, our breaths shaky from how close our bodies are.

That's it, I've had enough of this safe act, I am making the first move.

I slowly leaned forward for a kiss, Michael staying still, allowing me to go for it. I was halfway to his longing lips when I was stopped because of Michael's minty breath on my earlobe. No, no, no, he's not doing that trick again where he makes me look like a desperate idiot, not tonight, not ever.

Instead of a snarky comment coming from Michael's lips like before, he whispered me an urgent instruction, "Little girl, we got to go."

I didn't even have time to react, or say anything to that, I was being dragged away by Michael from the hall and out to the school parking lot.