Chapter 6: Cry, We're Gonna Be Alright

"Wake up, Ariana, wake up!"

"Wake up!"

I shot my eyes wide open. Martha, our housemaid, was shaking my shoulders to help me wake up, "Ariana, you're running late for school."

I yawned as I looked at her questioningly, "What do you mean? I'm always on time," I looked over to my right where the bedside table is to check on the time. 8:38 am. Shit, and homeroom starts on 8:45 am.

I jumped out of bed to get dressed as quickly as I can, grabbing the first thing I see for something I can wear and that is appropriate for school.

I ended up wearing an oversized hoodie complete with trackpants, but I don't care how ridiculous I might look, it's all about getting there in school on time and keeping a good reputation for your report card.

I grabbed an apple from the fruit basket as I ran into the garage to start the engine of my car. I constantly cursed under my breath as I sped along the streets of the Atlantic City while eating my apple, constantly checking the time every five seconds.

I thought that I was doing well speeding ten kilometres over the speed limit until I saw a cop chasing after me. "You gotta be fucking kidding me?" I cursed loudly, hitting my hands on the stirring wheel as I pulled over.

An aggressive looking cop with radiators on walked up to the driver's seat window and knocked on the window three times.

I mentally prepared myself as I am possibly going to court for speeding because I was running late for school.

I rolled down the car window and gave him the most casual smile, you'll be in less trouble if you look relaxed.

"Morning officer," I greeted him in a cheery voice.

"Ma'am, I'd like you to sign your signature right here," The police officer instructed, pointing towards his note pad. Was I too cheery?

When I finished signing, the officer looked at my handwriting and to me in a back and forth motion.

"Wait, aren't you Joan's daughter?" the police officer asked unexpectedly. How many people does my mother personally know?

I just nodded my head slowly, going with the flow. The police officer took off his sunglasses to reveal his beaming eyes, "Oh my God, I loved what your mum did for my sister's wedding,"

"Oh yes, yeah, she's one of the best." I said as I try to find some way to get out of this one-sided conversation.

"I'd like to say that your mum is the best events organiser and I've been suggesting your mum to all of my friends," he rambled on and on, and I'm stuck here being more late as ever.

God, please help me get out of this misery. I mentally prayed.

And just like that, a motorcyclist was speeding past my car and the officer, interrupting the officer from expressing his likeness to my mother's company.

"Here's your ticket, Ms. Grande, don't do drugs, bye!" The officer quickly handed me my ticket as he got into his bike to chase after the speeding motorcyclist and I was all alone once again. At least I only have to pay a loan and not have to go to jail.

I sticked to the speed limit this time, but I still arrived at school very late. "This isn't like you Ariana, hope this doesn't happen again." I told myself quietly as I walked up to the student reception to declare that I'm not absent. "You know, you're not the only one who came in late today," The office lady told me as she signs me in, "hope you stay out of trouble."