Chapter 3: It's Only Nature, Human Nature

Students begin to emerge from classrooms to the cafeteria for lunch. I grabbed a tray and let the lunch lady put whatever's there, I honestly don't care what I'm about to eat right now, the food sucks anyway.

I walked towards our group's usual spot for lunch and waited for anyone to come over. Molly was the first one to sit by me with a relieved look on her face, looks like she had a bad lesson last period too.

"What's up?" I asked nibbling on the fries. Molly tilted her head up towards the ceiling in a frustrated monotonic voice, "I. Hate. Science." I chuckled a little bit with food in my mouth, "What did science do to you this time?"

Molly's head was tilted back down from the ceiling in eye level, "I don't want to talk about it, trust me." Molly unwrapped the wrapper that's around her burger and started eating it. I watched Molly pull a disgusted face as she wraps the burger with the used wrapper and places it on her tray, pushing the tray away from her as if it was poison. "And the food is not making it any better."

"Aw, I'm sorry about that Molly," I placed my hand on Molly's back as Molly silently sulks in her head. "How about this, I got myself into afternoon detention, since, never," Molly looked up from her emotional state and her mood suddenly changed to curiosity. "How in the Lord's name did you get a detention?"

"Who got a detention?" A familiar voice interrupted our private conversation as Molly and I shot our heads towards the direction of the voice.

Peter was just standing there with his tray of food looking very disappointed and it's something that I never saw from Peter during our time as a couple, we were always happy.

"Um, did I say something that wasn't meant to be heard, or talked about?" Molly broke the silence between us after it seems like a long time, when in fact it was just a few mere seconds, "No, Molly, you didn't" Peter assured her in his most calmed voice right now. I know for a fact that he's definitely not calm.

"Ariana, we need to talk, privately," Peter grabbed my hand in a strong grip and dragged me outside of the school building but not so much that we're outside of school grounds. "Peter, let go of me!" I removed Peter's strong hand from my wrist and rubbed the parts where it got grabbed with my other hand. There will definitely be a red mark there.

Peter paced around with his hands on his sides before speaking up, "He was in your History class wasn't he?" I stayed silent as I was starting to become afraid to confront to this Peter. "Answer me, Ariana!" I jumped in shock as soon as Peter raised his voice.

"Peter, stop it, you're scaring me," I can start to feel tears in my eyes when a faraway voice came to the rescue. "Are you two alright there?"

I looked up to see a teacher overlooking us by the stairs to the school. "We are alright, thanks," Peter was back in his normal calm voice as the teacher nodded her head and left us alone. Realization hit Peter in the face as he came closer to me and gave me a lingering warm hug. "I am so sorry for raising my voice, I didn't mean to scare you," he apologised with his face buried in my hair, his hand stroking my back to calm me down.

"But I really want to know what happened during History class," Peter said, breaking the hug to look at me in the face. He wiped a few tears off before we sat down on a nearby bench to explain to him what happened.

***

"Wow, I can't believe he actually did that," Peter asked as soon as I finished my story. I nodded my head as I continue to feel sorry for him, "Yeah, I don't think he has any friends though, do you mind if he hangs out with us?"

"I think he does have friends, maybe he just doesn't have any friends in History class, that's all." Peter assured me with a smile. "Maybe," I muttered under my breath.