Chapter 34: Kambal ng Strawberry

Start from the beginning

"We are going to harvest some fresh strawberries, Presley and Tahiti can come as well."

"Oh yes, of course, if Ariana's coming," Presley jumped excitedly as Bernadette shot her a questioning look, "Are you saying that I'm boring Presley?"

Presley, for a second, had a very greedy look on her face as she twisted the laces of her sweater, not saying a word to that question.

"That means 'yes' in Presley's language, ma," Tahiti answered for her. Bernadette pinched Presley's chubby cheeks in light frustration before Presley apologised to her mother for calling her boring.

Presley, Tahiti and I followed Bernadette to a beautiful field of strawberry plants, "Grab a basket and I'll show you where you could harvest your strawberries." I followed Bernadette as instructed as she pointed the other two girls towards a row of strawberry plants for them to pick strawberries from.

"Now, let me teach you how to professionally pick on a strawberry," Bernadette giggled as she knelt in front of the short plant to demonstrate, "You grab the stem here, and you twist while you pull with your thumb and forefinger," she instructed as I copied what she was doing on a different strawberry stem.

"Yes that's right, now you're getting the hang of it." Bernadette applauded as we moved from one plant to another.

"How often has Peter visited you guys?" I asked Bernadette as we harvested.

"Peter," Bernadette paused as she had a little thought to herself, "Peter used to visit us a lot after he graduated from high school," Bernadette shrugged her shoulders before she thought some more, "He became less available recently, he could not even make a five minute talk over the phone. The music industry really can get someone preoccupied from their family."

Sympathy filled me as I couldn't help but give Bernadette a hug, "I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be away from your own child for God knows how long." Bernadette rubbed my back in assurance as she cooed onto my ear, "It's okay darling, I'm just glad that my Peter is here, you gotta savour the moment while it lasts." I let go of the hug as we resumed on our harvesting.

"Enough about me, what's the deal between you and Michael?" Bernadette asked which caused me to pause on whatever I was doing, "Why is everybody asking me about my relationship with Michael?"

I asked anxiously more to the world rather than directly to Bernadette. Bernadette placed her hand over my shoulder and assured me, "I see Michael as my own son, whatever you feel for him, I'll always support."

Her words relaxed me from the building tension before, "I hope you don't think of me badly for not staying with Peter for long, he's actually an amazing boyfriend."

"Ariana, it's okay, we couldn't control how we feel. It's natural, so there's really no need to be sorry about it." Bernadette let me know with her smile that it's okay to tell her truthfully how I feel. I couldn't believe that I'm about to reveal my true feelings for Michael to Peter's mother!

"For the past twenty-four hours, since we were reunited from our two year break, I may or may not considered redeveloping those feelings I had with Michael again." I paused, allowing Bernadette to smile at me giddily, "That's great sweetheart, why don't you tell him how you feel?"

"Michael doesn't seem like he's interested or has the time to talk about his feelings, us. In fact, I'm more scared for him on what he does for a living than our 'relationship'. I really wish I could tell you why, but Michael would rather keep it a secret between me and him."

There world, I said it.

I just told Bernadette that I still like Michael, even after years of separation and heartbreak. There must be wrong with my head that caused me to feel this way. It's a good thing though that Bernadette didn't ask me anymore on Michael's gang-related activities.