Time to Move On

Joker laid on his side staring at the girl sleeping next to him. She was bundled up in blankets but her head and face peeked out. He quietly inspected every bruise, cut and scar. Every new one he saw sent a shock of pain through his heart; a pain he didn't even know he could feel anymore.

When he fell in that vat of chemicals he had lost his sanity and, he thought, his heart. He was impulsive and emotional but not when it came to matters of love.

Harley has always believed he had loved her and he had felt something strong for her. He wouldn't call it love; it was more obsession, longing, lust...possession. He needed her; he wanted her, but never loved her.

As he put hand gently on the bruised cheek of his little doll, he felt so many emotions, it was hard to deal with.

Did he love her?

No...of course not...he was the Joker. He did not love...right?

Then what was this fucking madness going on his mind and dare say, his heart?

You don't have a heart J. Stop kidding yourself.

Just pure lust my friend. That is all. And look at her now; all used up. She isn't so pretty anymore.

Just a little pretty ribbon who has come undone. Time to move on J.

He grabbed his head and let out a low growl as he made his way out of the bed. He needed to get out of Lisbeth's room before the voices got worse. He didn't think she could handle seeing him in that position. And...he didn't know what he would do if she woke up and the voices took control of him.

He quietly walked to the door and silently walked out, closing it behind him.

He rubbed his head as the voices pounded around inside.

He needed to find Hatter. As he turned the corner he ran right into Jonny.

"Sorry Boss." Jonny said slowly, looking at J's pain-filled face.

"Hatter....I need him to be with her...I need to be alone right now..." he muttered out through grit teeth.

Jonny quietly sighed. It must be the voices.

"I sent him for some rest, Boss, but no worries. I will go be with her. Is she sleeping?"

"Yes." J breathed out in relief. "I will be in my bedroom." He stalked off as Jonny watched him leave, before he turned, making his way towards Lisbeth's bedroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hatter walked slowly up the stairs, completely exhausted. He had barely gotten through breakfast before Jonny had patted him on the shoulder and told him to go get some rest since
Boss was with Lisbeth.

He felt like the weight had been lifted off his shoulders for now; Lisbeth was back and her and Boss were content for now. He knew that it was going to be a long road of recovery for his best friend but at least for now they were going in the right direction.

As he made his way past Harley's room, he heard a small sound. He went closer to the door, trying to listen. He heard it a little louder then-crying.

It was unusual to hear crying coming from Harley's room; the woman was pure craziness and steel. She was not one to break down. It worried him.

He knocked gently on the door. "Harley?" He said quietly. No reply, just more sobs.

He knocked louder. "Harley? Its Hatter, can I come in?" He heard the sobs stop and a shaking voice replied. "Come in."

He opened the door to find Harley curled up in her bed, a thin blanket wrapped around her. She looked completely worn down and tired; her eyes were red and puffy from crying.

Hatter was not prepared to see her like this. He stood frozen, just staring at her.

Harley gave a small, cold laugh. "What do you need Baby Frosty?"

"I'm sor....sorry." He sputtered out, walking closer to the bed. "I, just, I've never seen you like this."

Harley looked away from him and towards the window. "Well, times have changed. I have changed."

Hatter nodded, even though he knew she could not see him. "Yes, everything has been fucked up, hasn't it?"

She looked back towards the young man. "You have no idea." She pulled the blanket closer around her, the tears starting again.

Hatter quickly walked towards her, sitting on the edge of the old, dirty mattress. "Talk to me, Harley. I am worried about you." He said with concern in his voice. "I thought we could trust each other."

Harley just shook her head sadly at him. "Some secrets are too dear to put at risk of losing."

Hatter stared at her. "Whatever it is, you can't keep it inside. Look at what it is doing to you! Can't you talk to Lisbeth? You were best friends."

Harley's face took on a pained look. "No! I can't talk about this with her now. She couldn't handle it. Not with everything that has happened to her!"

Hatter put a gentle hand on her shoulder. "She loves you; I am sure she would still want to help you."

Harley slumped her shoulders, looking down at the bed. "Then tell me, Hatter, how do you tell one of your best friends, after they learn they can never have kids, that....that you are pregnant?"

A/N If you haven't already,
please check out my new story "Bad Choices." I would be oh so grateful!😍😘😉