83) Learn to Love

Start from the beginning

"I'm not so sure..", he admits and the doctor frowns at him.

"I think you should take more interest in your wife's medical history. She will be alright. We'll keep her here for tonight but tomorrow she should be fine to go home", he says and Scott thanks him before he walks to your room.

You're sleeping when he walks in so he doesn't wake you. Instead he sits on the chair next to your bed and holds your hand. Giving it a small squeeze as he sighs.

"I'm so sorry", he says, referring to how he let you down. How he doesn't know anything about you. How he doesn't treat you well. And that you ended up in the hospital and he can't do a thing about it.

Your eyelids flutter open and you see Scott sitting beside you. His eyes are tired and his hair is messed up.

"How are you feeling?", he asks you.

"I'm okay", you whisper.

"I'm sorry..", he says but you just close your eyes.

"I haven't had an attack in so long..", you say and he frowns at you.

"When was the last time?", he asks. You shut your eyes and squeeze his hand.

"It was when.. my fiancé passed away", you start saying and his eyebrows quirk up but he remains silent and lets you carry on.

"Before you.. before my parents met your mom.. there was guy named Harry. He was my best friend. We had known each other since grade school. And in high school we started dating. When we graduated we moved in together and that's when we found out that he had cancer.. leukemia. We did everything we could to keep him healthy. I was working three jobs to help pay for his chemo.. he was getting better.. he was smiling and eating and living his life like the old him. I loved him so much", you smile at the memory of him, tears threatening to spill.

"He proposed to me in our apartment.. just a simple night in and it was the most special day. He loved me and we were going to spend the rest of lives together. The day after we got engaged, we were driving to visit his family when.. he started coughing up blood. I didn't know what was happening so I took him to the hospital.. he was having a seizure and the cancer was back with full force..", you say, tears rolling down your cheeks.

"Not more than a week later.. he died", you cry out and Scott moves to sit on the bed, your head resting on his chest as you cried. He rubbed your back, holding you close as he too had tears in his eyes.

"That's when I had my first panic attack and I fainted.. the doctors gave me medicine for anxiety and depression.. and I've been on them ever since. I guess I forgot to take them today", you say to him as you wipe your tears.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know any of that. Thank you for telling me and.. you're just so strong", he says but you shake your head.

"Thank you for bringing me here.. and finding me in the first place", you say and he nods.

"You never come into my room", you furrow your eyebrows.

"I wanted to talk to you about the whole Australia thing", he says and you sigh.

"I.. I just feel that this isn't working. We're just living like strangers and you don't deserve that. We both deserve happiness", you tell him and he looks into your eyes. Taking in all the different shades he can see in them. He looks at the freckles sprawled out on your cheeks, he's never noticed them before. Neither has he seen the small dimple on your right cheek. Or the small mole right above your top lip. He's staring at your natural red lips, the lips he has never kissed. Not even at your wedding.