Chapter 6: Cry, We're Gonna Be Alright

Start from the beginning

I gave her a quick smile before running off to my locker and getting my stuff ready for period one. History. Great.

When I reached to the History room, Mr. Joseph was already giving the class some lecture about something. I opened the door and Mr. Joseph turned his attention towards me, "Do you have a reason why you're late?"

I gulped nervously as everybody's eyes were on me now, waiting for my excuse. I looked over Michael who's looking at me carefully, as if he was trying to communicate me with his eyes. Make up shit.

And so I did.

"My cat died," I blurted out. The class gave me a wave of concern, as they knew I loved cats. Mr. Joseph, however, doesn't look like he bought the story, "Oh yeah? Tell me more about it." I got scared by Mr. Joseph at that point. I'm gonna be in trouble, he's not gonna believe me, I just knew it!

"You're not gonna say anything?" Yep, I'm dead.

I looked over at Michael for help, but he continued to give me these body signs that tell me to roll along with what I got. Problem is, I'm not good at lying.

"That's it, Ms. Grande, afternoon detention, again!" Mr. Joseph announced as he pulls out the yellow detention slip and started writing my name on it once again.

I shook my head no as tears began to fall from my eyes, "No, sir, please, it's not my fault that I'm late. I am truly sorry for being late to your class." I fell on my knees, crying, I can't have another detention, not now, not ever.

I'm going to behave well, do good in school, become a valedictorian, get a degree in medicine and have an awesome, perfect life. I can't have a bad reputation on my report card.

I continued to cry on my knees as I felt a pair of large hands help me up, the person whispered into my ear, "Ariana, remember the dead cat."

I got the message as I continued to sob some more in front of Mr. Joseph, continuing my story, "I'm sorry, for being late because my cat died and it is just so hard." I sobbed into the person's chest, soaking their shirt, but I don't think they seemed to care at this moment. Heck, I couldn't see anything right now because of my tears.

"Okay, okay, fine, you may pass on this one, but only because you're in an emotional state right now and I don't want to deal with your 'dead cat' drama, take a seat."

I wiped my eyes with my sleeves as I looked up at the person who helped me. It was Michael, he formed a small smile on his face when he mouthed to me well done.

Michael led me towards my desk and sat me down, "Hey, are you alright?" I nodded my head, slowly recovering from what just happened.

"Always remember, you prevented yourself from getting in trouble, so don't even act all girly on me and say that I'm your hero, when in fact I'm not."

Well, there goes my opportunity to thank him. Instead, I just nodded at his words and we are back to focusing in class.

When History was over, Michael walked me to my next class which was Biology, mainly because he was heading towards the gym for his PE class, which was the same direction I'm heading.

On the way there, Michael spotted a casting call on the school musical. This year's musical is going to be called "West Side Story".

I noticed Michael's sudden interest in the musical as I walked closer to him, "If you want to join, you can audition for a role." Michael looked at me like I was nuts, "Did I say I wanted to join? I was just looking."

I rolled my eyes at Michael, he clearly looked interested for sure, "Besides, I don't do musicals," Michael added as he walks away from the poster.