Prologue

I pulled on my spandex volleyball shorts, team jersey, knee pads then my Nike ultimate dig trainers. My hair was pulled back with a hair bobble and some bobby pins. I had that strange butterfly feeling in my stomach, the one where you can feel yourself about to puke up your entire stomach contents. I had to prove myself today, I had to get into ASU.

I decided that The university of Colorado wasn't for me, the state was slightly boring, the people there I had basically grown up with since I was only young, I wanted to experience new things, so I had myself transferred to Arizona State. Today is what determined if I got in the team or not. My grades were there, I had already been accepted, but the best coach in Arizona would be watching my entire game, judging whether I was good enough for his State Champion team. Todd has been supporting me ever since I was 5 when I started volleyball, It wasn't just a sport to me. People said I overreacted when I lost a game, I said I don't like losing.

"Lana, game starts in 10", he could obviously see I was worried because he gave me a reassuring smile, "lana you'll be amazing, you've played volleyball since you were 5. You have nothing to worry about. You've got it in the bag kiddo." He winked, gave me a hug before heading out to sit by his friends, presumably.

I looked in the mirror and spoke out my thoughts, "this is what you've been practicing for your whole life. You can do this." Deep breaths. 

"You've got it in the bag"

*

"Come on Lana!" I heard Todd shouting as I gave my final hit, It smacked off my fists and slammed onto the ground on the opposing teams court. We had won. I had made the winning hit. I screamed and ran to give my team mates a hug. We had just won one of the biggest games of the year, against one of the best teams in the league. I heard masculine shouts coming from one of the stands, I looked over to see a big group of boys whistling and shouting. One in particular stood out, It was a blonde haired boy with sunglasses and a Chicago bulls cap on. He was whistling at me and I couldn't help but flip him off. We are human beings, not dogs.

I heard all his friends shouting 'ooooohhh' and laughing, I turned on my heel and ran over to give Todd a hug. "You did great Lana, I told you you'd be amazing!" He pulled back, immediately recomposing himself. "There's the chancellor, I think she's looking for you." He guided me over to the middle aged woman with a black pencil skirt and matching blazer, she was a very warm, professional looking lady and she smiled before shaking my hand.

"Hello Elana, I must say. You are a tremendous young volleyball champion and I would be honoured to allow you a place the in Arizona State Volleyball team." A big grin swept over my face and I had to hold In my squeal.

"Thank you so much Mrs Capaldi, It's a pleasure to be able to play for ASU."

"I suggest I'll see you on Monday then, you can come to my office Monday morning and we will discuss your schedule, Todd I assume you will be showing Elana around for the first week, yes?"

"Yes Miss, I will not let her out of my sight."

"Great, well done Miss Wothers, I hope you enjoy your time at ASU, See you on Monday. Do the University proud." She winked, nodding her head and smiled before leaving with a middle aged man who I presume was her husband. I squealed and jumped into Todd's arms giving him a kiss on the cheek.

I heard someone clear their throat then chuckle and I looked up to see the same blonde haired boy, with the chicago bulls cap and raybans who was whistling earlier.