He'll Never Forget

“Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.” Abraham Lincoln

God is not unjust; He will not forget your work and the love you have shown Him as you have helped His people and continue to help them. Hebrews 6:10

Adulation: “obsequious flattery; excessive admiration or praise” New Oxford American Dictionary

Chances are you haven't heard of a company called “Center Rock,” or it's president Brandon Fisher. I know I hadn't, not until I heard some names recited by President Barack Obama during the 2011 State of the Union speech. You see, those are the names responsible for something called “Plan B,” a plan that turned out to be the successful operation that rescued 33 trapped miners from 2000 feet below ground in a Chilean mine. Brandon Fisher and Richard Soppe from Center Rock arrived at the scene of the accident shortly after the miners were discovered alive and stayed there for much of the rescue operation, offering their expertise and help throughout the process. It was their plan that those miners owe their lives to. However, on the 12th and 13th of October, while the news cameras were rolling on the miners appearing one by one from the half mile long rescue tunnel, neither Brandon or Richard were anywhere in sight. Instead, they opted to watch the rescue on their televisions and celebrate at home, far away from any source of public praise or adulation. And even though they may not have received the public appreciation they deserved, everyone in that company felt deep pride in what they were able to accomplish. We'll all accomplish things in life from time to time that go without immediate recognition. That should not sway us from using our talents in the most effective way possible to help our neighbors. It's not the rewards we receive here on earth that we should be striving for, but the greater rewards we are blessed with from our Father in heaven. He will never let us down and will never let our accomplishments go ignored forever.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone in kindness today?

What did I learn today?

What am I thankful for?

Who did I love today?

What am I dreaming of?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake

P.S. Humility is hard for me. Does it come easy for you? How do you foster it in your life?