Down On My Luck

March 25th

I woke up with the sun shining through my room. I squinted my eyes, as they became adjusted to bright surroundings. Stray tears began running down the sides of my face, as the pain from my throbbing headache came in full effect. However this headache was like nothing else I've experienced. More and more tears came rushing down, as I tried closing my eyes trying to ease the pain.

I got up and went through the medicine cabinet trying to find some sort of pain relievers. The whole way was challenge, because I was really off balance. When I found the bottle I fixed me a glass of water, and took double the dosage. As soon the water hit the back of my throat, a wave of nausea hit me. I had the strong urge to puke.

I walked over to sink, lean over it. I gripped the sides for dear life, as another wave of nausea hit. This time my stomach violently jerked, and the contents from stomach were thrown out of my body.

Well so much for the pain relievers.

Wave after wave hit me. It was like my stomach was never going to stop. After my feeling of nausea went down, I collapsed on the ground. My arm laid over my eyes, and my forehead continued to throb. My dried up tears crusted on my face, as I laid there on the ground thinking.

It's been a week, and I've been driving to other physical therapy facilities, and they all claimed they weren't hiring. I put in application after application, and still there was call back. I even called my old job, and begged for my job, which I thought I would never do in my 25 years of life. Of course they simply told me what my supervisor told me that day.

So I give up....

When the bills become to high, I'll be moving back to Houston to live with my mom. I know that's the one person I can depend on. But I don't know what she will say when she finds I'm out eating for two. You know what I'm packing my shit today. Ain't no since of staying in LA, stress is what's going to kill my baby.

I got on my knees, and crawled back to my bedroom. I made it over to my night stand, and grabbed my phone. Pulling my knees to chest, and dialed my mother's number. My heart racing, and my forehead throbbing. I closed my eyes, because the light was too much.

"Hello?"

"Hey mom." I smiled

"What's up?"

"I think I'm going to come move back in with you."

"Why what happened?"

"I lost my job."

"Well you're still with Chris, he's taking care of you right?"

The lump in my throat began to form. And I was holding back to urge to start crying.

"Hello... Hello... You still there?"

"Yeah I'm here." I hesitated

"What's wrong baby, you can tell me."

Then the waterworks started. Truth be told, no matter how many times I tried to hate him, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Whenever someone or something made me think of Chris I got emotional. I still had love for him, and it broke my heart every time we were near each other. I had to act like him being ass and treating me like I was one of his many groupies he bed in his career; didn't phase me I had to put on the front like I only came for the baby, but I still wanted to get back together with him. I had too much love for the kid, and to this day I had no idea why he treat me like I was the scum of the earth. He still never makes an effort to try and contact me. Makes me feel the biggest fool on the planet. I feel deep for a man, who looked me as nothing but another one of his women he's had sex with. I doubt he ever truly loved me me, it was all a front to get what he wanted.

"I take that as sign y'all not together anymore?"

"Yeah." I simply said

"Y'all were going strong, what happened between y'all? Did he cheat?"

"I'm pregnant." I avoided her questions

"OH MY GOD! I'M GOING TO BE A GRANDMA?!" She yelled through the phone

"Yeah." I weakly smiled

"Is it Chris's?"

I was starting to feel sick again, and the urge to throw up was coming.

"Mom I gotta go."

"But you didn't answer my-" I hung up

When I hung up, my stomach jerked and I vomited again landing on the floor beside me. The smell of the vomit was way worse this time around. My vomit took on a reddish tint this time. And I knew that was not good. Each time I threw up, I had this intense pain in my stomach. More tears fell down my face, and reached for my phone. My whole body was shaking, and I struggled to call 9-1-1.

"9-1-1 emergency how can I help you?"

"I'm pregnant......" I struggled out

"Hello? You said you're pregnant?"

Another wave hit me, and threw up again.

"I'm sending an ambulance right now." The lady said

"Can you tell me your location?"

"6769......."

"What was that?"

I threw up again, and my vomit was a darker red color.

"Here stay on the line for me, if you're in a apartment or hotel can you tell me what room? We can track your location."

"256."

********

*Date unknown*

"Wake up sweetie."

I felt someone squeezing my hand. Then I felt them rubbing on my head.

That voice sounded familiar. I tried to open my eyes several times. But I couldn't. The person kept rubbing on my hand.

"I know you're stronger than this. Come on it's time to wake up."

I tried to open my eyes one more time, and this time it worked. I squinted when I looked around the room. Then my eyes finally settled on the woman that was talking to me.

It was Mama J.

As soon as she saw that I was awake, she hugged me so tight. When she pulled back, I could see that she had been crying. Then I heard commotion and then I saw my mom enter the room. She walked over and hugged me too. She two was in tears. She hugged me so tight, and she wouldn't let go. She even began rocking me back and forth.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again." My mom said

"Is my baby okay?"

Mama J and my mom gave each other a look. Then they looked back at me.
~~~~~