Mystery Diagnosis (pt.1)

A/N: Makayla's child in MM

Makayla

I couldn't sulk long, because I had to pick up Matthew from day care. I grabbed my purse and made my way toward my car. When I arrived and came to sign Matthew out, I noticed it took longer than normal for someone to bring him out.

"Mommy Mommy I don't feel good." Matthew walked over to me.

I squatted down so that I was at eye level with him. He held his head, and had a some dried snot under his nose. I took out some tissues and wiped his nose. The lady that walked him out, pulled me aside for a talk.

"Your son is really sick. He's been coughing up green mucus, and he complains of having a sore throat. His nose has been running a lot too."

"Well he's been like that since he was born. He would get sick on and off. The doctors thinks it's allergies, and has given him antibiotics to cope."

"Well me and the other day care workers get tired of having to baby him. The other kids don't even want to be around him, because they don't wanna be sick."

"I'm paying you people to-"

"Either take him to the doctor, and see what's really wrong with him or he can't come back."

"Oh I will. I assure you that he won't be coming back here."

"That's fine Ms. Makayla." She said nonchalantly

I walked over to the bench Matthew sat on, and picked him up on placed him on my hip. I mean mugged that bitch, and walked out to my car. Placing Matthew in his car seat, I noticed he little scratches on his face.

"Matthew who did that to your face?" I said getting in the car.

"This girl mommy."

I didn't ask him nothing else. I stayed quiet until we got back to the house. When I pulled up to the house he was noticeably sleepy. So put him on my hip again, and carried him into the house.

When I laid him on the bed, I propped him up so he understood not to go to sleep. Finding his allergy medicine, I can back into the room so I could talk to him.

"How old was the little girl?"

"Six."

"She's twice your age! Why did she scratch you?"

"I really sick. So she not want me around her."

"Did you tell one of the adults?"

"Yes they not care. They not want be next to me."

"You're not going back there again. I didn't know they did you like that."

After he swallowed his medicine, I tucked him in. Then I went downstairs to make a doctors appointment for him. I really don't want my baby to suffer through anything else.

********

Nicole
September 14th

I arrived early to work. I was in a really fantastic mood, despite my mom's badgering. When it got close to the time for Makayla to arriving, I gathered myself because being around her makes me sick. Just thinking back to everything she told me, makes me want to punch the shit out of her.

When I looked at the clock again, I realized that she was ten minutes late. Then ten minutes turned into twenty minutes. After about forty five minutes the rehab' phone started ringing.

"Hello?"

"Yes this is Makayla, and I won't be able to make it today. My son is sick again, and he needs care."

Figures.

"Alright I'll let Sam know."

I rolled my eyes. It was getting increasingly hard to not talk reckless to her. She kept trying to talk to me like we friends. Whenever she does that, I just walk away mid-sentence.

Today I got a new client, and she's really difficult to say the least. She recent just a had a gastric bypass, so I understand how she may be in pain. She has a really nasty attitude, and I'm forced to plaster on a smile. This is one of the many down sides of being a physical therapist.

After my last client went home, I literally wanted to jump for joy. It was like I couldn't get out of
there fast enough.

********

Makayla
September 17th 

Matthew hasn't been doing so well. I kept calling and bugging the front desk clerks, and eventually they gave in and agreed to see him. When they understood how urgent he needed care that's when they gave in.

He's been having diarrhea and nausea in addition to being sleepy and his previous symptoms. He's been sick before, but this is really extreme. I wonder if one them kids at daycare gave him something.

When the doctor saw Matthew, she wrote up a prescription for a different type of antibiotics. She insisted that he would get better.

I did the agonizing task of getting his prescription filled. Right before he went to bed, I made sure he was given his medicine. I kiss him goodnight. Then I went to the basement to begin washing clothes to get ready for work tomorrow.

*******

September 18th

When I woke up, I went to the bathroom to do my daily routine. I put on my scrubs, and slicked my hair into a doughnut bun at the top of my head. I walked into the Matthew's room, and began getting his clothes out, so I could bath and take him to my sister's house.

When I walked over Matthew, I noticed he looked a little funny. So I shook him vigorously, and shouted his name. He didn't respond, which caused a deep source of panic within me. I noticed he wasn't breathing. So I ran up out of his room and called 9-1-1. Then I ran back in his room with my CPR equipment. 

I placed him on the floor, so he was on a flat surface while I did chest compressions. After one set of fifteen I lifted his head up, put the mask on his face, and blew air into the mask, so that his chest visibly rose.

I kept doing the whole CPR routine until the EMT's  arrived. I watched as they checked for a pulse. They basically did the same thing I did, trying to revive him. One of the EMT's took out an AED and tried to shock his heart back to rhythm.

After about three attempts, the EMT's stopped and looked at each other. Then he grabbed the black body bag, and unzipped it. I could no longer hold my tears, because I knew that just confirmed my worst fear.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but we couldn't save your child."
~~~~~

What do y'all think Matthew died from?

Do y'all think Nicole is a little too harsh when it comes to Makayla?

Do y'all feel bad for Makayla?