Laid To Rest?

A/N: Baby picture of CB in MM.

October 8th
Chris

When I woke up, my mom was standing over me. I was scared shitless. When you wake up, you never expect someone to be standing over you, watching you. Then when I studied her face and body language, I saw she wasn't happy either.

"So why did Nicole tell me that she's moving out?"

"Maybe she's unhappy." I said, sarcastically

She crossed her arms, "That was very apparent, judging by the fact she sounded like she had been crying."

"Look I gotta pee, take a shower, and brush my teeth. Can we talk after I get done?"

When I made it to the bathroom, I was relieved. When I was done, I came out of the bathroom. But my mom sat on the bed, just waiting for me. When I walked out of my bedroom, she followed me.

"So you don't know why she would want to leave." She squinted her eyes

"Nope." I said, taking a bite of my cereal.

"I think you do. You may be able to lie to them fast little girls, you use to bring home, but you can't lie to me."

"Mom I said I didn't okay."

"I bet it was something you said, to her wasn't it?"

"She needed to know the truth."

"What exactly did you say to her?"

"I asked what she wanted out of this relationship. Fame, money, or dick-."

Before I could finish everything thing, my mom popped me on the back of the head.

"No you didn't!" She whisper yelled

"I was just being honest(smack). She's always been rude(smack). Why do we need her for(smack)? Shit-(double smack)- I still can't walk. Can you please stop that shit(triple smack)."

I was finally able to fend her away, from hitting me on the back of the head. Now I was mad. To be honest Nicole was slacking. I should be up and walking by now.

"I don't care how old you get, you don't ever curse at me. Just for that you're coming with me, to pick her up from the hospital today."

"No the hel-heck." I caught myself

"Yes you are."

"Go ahead and eat your cereal, so we can leave as soon as possible."

On the way over I pouted. I didn't even speak to or look her way the whole ride. When we got to the hospital, she didn't force me the get out. So I just stayed in the car. Figuring I would get comfortable, while I waited on them to come out. I felt my eyelids getting heavier and heavier each passing moment.

********

Nicole

I was been pushed out of the hospital in a wheelchair. Even though I gotten into a car accident, I managed to come out with just a sprained wrist, and some abrasions on my face.

When me and Ms. Hawkins got closer to the car, my heart started racing. I wasn't expecting Chris to sitting in the front seat. The slamming of car doors woke him up unfortunately. But he closed his eyes again, when he saw his mom.

When we made it up in the drive way, I got out and waited for Ms. Hawkins to come open the door. I walked in, and saw his cousins, aunt, and dad all sitting in the living room. When they noticed me, I flashed them a forced smile.

"Why don't you go help Chris out of the car?" Ms. Hawkins whispered

I walked back out outside to see that Chris was struggling to get out of the car. He couldn't quite get his crutches together. I arrived just in time to catch him from falling on his ass. He didn't say anything, but I continued to help him all the way to the door.

After we got in the house, I went upstairs to shower and change. I had to get dressed in all black, because I still felt the need to pay my respects at Makayla's funeral. I made it downstairs and Ms. Hawkins and her family started questioning my attire.

Of course they insisted they would go with me. When we arrived at the funeral home, I was beyond nervous. Like the whole way there, my heart was racing. A million things could go wrong. I think I was starting to calm down, once we took our seats near the front. I saw all the employees from work, but they were a few rows back.

The service was about to start. The pastor came up first and started speaking into the microphone.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen."

"Good evening." Everyone murmured

"So we are gathered here to mourn the death of Makayla Rose Thompson. Death is never a happy event, for a loved one's family and friends. However, death doesn't have to be looked at, as negative. Makayla was a very optimistic, respectful, and generous person.

Unfortunately she was dealt a bad hand during life. From what she did know, she refused to let it stop her. Her son Matthew was a prime example. A child is a blessing, but how he was conceived, wasn't Makayla's plan. Nonetheless she gave birth to him, and tried to raise him as best as she could up until his death.

So her selflessness reminds us all of what we should try to achieve everyday. I know women who have been raped, but either aborted their baby or gave their baby up. Makayla did neither of those. So today lets think of her death as positive. She was one of God's angels sent home early."

After the pastor was done, I had to wipe my tears. The guilt was coming back. Ms.Hawkins wrapped her arm around me, and I relaxed a bit. Chris was on the other side of me, but he never looked at me. I turned my head, when I saw Makayla's mother walk up.

"Makayla was my oldest child. She was such a nice person to be around. Sometimes I put too much responsibility on her, but she rarely complained. Growing up she didn't have much, but once she grew older I became so proud her. She went college and made something of herself.

When I found out how she died I was heartbroken. I couldn't believe that she was really gone. I'm so glad that everyone came to pay their respects. However there are some people I wish that weren't here. Like her best friend Nicole, why are you here? You know what you did to my daughter." She pointed over to where I was sitting.

This caused everyone to turn their heads and look in my direction.

"My other children told me how Makayla would complain them, about how nasty you were to her. I bet you had something to with why Makayla jumped. The fact that you had the guts to show up here is amazing."

I just quietly made my way toward the exit, and tried to ignore people staring at me.

"THAT'S RIGHT LEAVE! YOU DIDN'T DESERVE TO BE HERE ANYWAYS!" She yelled
~~~~~~

So I lied,you guys. But seriously the trial will be next chapter.

Was Makayla's mother in the wrong?

Was Nicole wrong coming to Makayla's funeral?

Who's sick of this book(be honest)?