49

it was a rule, if you're a mermaid, don't. Talk. To. Humans.
But Ian couldn't help finding their ways wonderful. The way the smaller ones would cling to the larger ones, how they would freak out if something touched their feet. He found it charming. But the man in top of the white tower thing was the best part of the ones with legs.
Every now and again Ian would poke his head out of he water, and just watch what went down around him. There where little girls who chased each other with shells, shells that Ian had been eyeballing for awhile now. He felt himself grumble when he saw them taking the shells away from the water.
It was also extremely odd to see them go under and come back up kicking and screaming, and then back under. They had two land fins, couldn't they swim fine? Mermaids only had one and from birth they could swim. The man from on top of the tower would go into the water and pull the struggling swimmers back up. Ian found it rather cute.
He decided to give it a shot one day. He poked his head above water, as. Went down fast, thrashing about. He surfaced and splashed, then went under again. Like he'd planned, the man came down from the tower, jumped into the water, and swam over as fast as possible. Ian felt a bit anxious the closer he got, and he made the choice to go back underwater and just watch from then on. But the guy wouldn't stop looking, he just came faster.
Soon Ian was carried above water, and he started to thrash harder, smacking the man with his tail, grabbing at his arms with webbed fingers, the man just wouldn't let off. Ian let out a terrible scream and the mans grip lightened, but not enough for Ian to free himself. There was a crowd of people surrounding the two, the strange man looked confused. "I'm trying to help!" He yelled. Ian screamed again and thrashed harder. "Joji let go!" He heard someone yell from the bank. The mans grip slackened.
Ian thrashed enough to slip himself face first into the water, letting his tail flip up, and hit the man in the chest. Ian I baked the water for a moment, his gills moving faster than they ever had.
He poked his head out of the water,  facing the shocked man. He tilted his head, a silent asking of 'what's wrong?' The one they called Joji reached out slowly. Ian moved slightly, uncertain of if he was going to be picked up again. This time the touch was gentle, and Ian couldn't help but lean partly into it.
"Are you real?" Joji whispered. Ian nodded, dive under and flipped his tail out, splashing people when he went back up again. "Holy shit, you're a real mermaid," he heard Joji mutter. Everyone around them started to gasp, whispering to each other. Ian looked at them, eyes curious.
"You have to go back under water, there are bad people up here who want to hurt you. They'll cut you up if you don't go back!" Joji whispered to Ian. Fear flooded his eyes. He looked to Joji, swam close, kissed him in the lips, and dove back under water.
-I guess kisses mean thank
you in mermaid idk-