Chapter 29: Everything Changes

Tomorrow is the day everything changes for good. Tomorrow is the last day of school, in the afternoon Louis and Ashton are graduating. After the ceremony, their families are throwing a party at a restaurant. Ashton then is proposing to Arlene during dinner, Luke and I helped pick out the engagement ring. We tried changing his mind but all hope was lost, all we could do is get on board fast.

Then Zayn is staying over my house for the night because my dad will be picking up my mother and Natalie at the airport. Then I will be telling Zayn about the deal.

Laying in bed and anticipating the result for tomorrow is killing me. What if everything goes horribly wrong? The thought kept circling my mind; it kept me awake making me turn to my sides every three seconds.

As I slowly started to fall asleep, five minutes later my alarm rings. I groan and smash my face with a pillow. I change into my clothes, put my hair in a bun and head down stairs. The smell of coffee brewing reminded me of so many memories. I enter the kitchen and witness my father reading the newspaper. I gasp "What are you doing home?" He peeks out his view "they gave me two weeks off from work." I bite my lip and serve myself orange juice.

For the first time, my dad took me to school. Usually Louis or Arlene would pick me up but when my dad offered, I couldn't turn it down.

As I take the last class of my sophomore year, all the seniors were getting emotional. Some seniors in my class that I talked to were sobbing on me, telling me a bunch of advise, even seniors I never seen before were hugging me. I guess the end of a memorable year was over.

After school we went to the ice cream shop and talked about all the seniors acting like if it was the end of the world.

When Zayn dropped me off at my house, my father was cooking. The kitchen was a complete mess. It smelt like burn, the pans had already been formed into goo. Stuff all over the table, counter and sink. He was mixing something in a bowl "I'm making your sister's favorite dish, Enchiladas." I smile and head to my room and get ready for the ceremony. I took a shower, and then dried my hair.

I pull out my fancy dress from my closet. I finally put all my stuff away from the boxes where it belongs and now I'm leaving again. I paint my toe nails and finger nails. While I'm waiting for them to dry, I hear the door bell ring preceding my father's voice greeting in Zayn. I panic, I start fixing my bed. He knocks on my door, resting on the door frame. I turn to him, seeing him in a suit. I couldn't resist not kissing him. I drop my back pack on the floor and walk to him, gripping him from his suit and pulling him close to me. When he stops, he looks down at me "I should wear this more often, I like it when you kiss me this way." I flirt "what way? This way?" I pull him in for a long passionate kiss. He lets go "yeah, that way."

I smile, let go of him and went to sit on my bed "Do you mind helping my dad cook? He's nervous and really needs help." He smirks "What's in it for me?" I blush, looking away from him "do it and find out." He pushes his body off the frame, cooing "Ooooh, Emma Johnson! Hate it when you tease me."

He pulls me up to him, gripping my waist and kissing me. For a long time, we stood like that, lips intertwined and worries vanished. Suddenly the fire alarm buzzes through the house, making us jolt. Zayn smirks at me "that's my que." I bite my lip and watch him disappear.

What is wrong with me! I'm telling him today and I'm acting like if nothing's wrong.

As I curl my hair, I noticed that's its 5:30. I hurry up and curl my hair faster; I didn't want to be late for the ceremony at 6:15. I slip on my dress, strap my sandals and pin my hair to the side. As I head downstairs, it no longer smelled nasty, it actually smelled pleasant.

The dinner was set for three, the mess was gone and they actually managed to cook. Though I'm not surprised they did, my dad always cooked and Zayn knew how to make certain things. I place my bag on the seat "wow how nice, is it edible?" Zayn rolls his eyes and my father scoffs "do you want to eat?" I laugh and sit down. I wait for my dad to serve me a plate.

As we ate, Zayn drank all the lemonade; it was too spicy for him considering that he never ate salsa. I got a kick of how red Zayn was; he kept suffering because he didn't want to stop eating. He claims it was the most delicious thing he has ever eaten.

When we left, we headed back to school for the ceremony. We sat next to the families. Everyone knew me, they grew fond of me. It was nice to see everyone supporting the boys.

As they call up Ashton, they hand him his diploma. He snatches it away, throws his hands in victory then picks up his gown to his waist and skips like a little girl. The crowd goes wild and hoots for him. We all laugh at Liz's and Matthews's reaction. Liz covered her face, cursing him off and Matthew whistled for him, shouting "That's my boy!" when Louis went up, he grabbed everyone's hand and shakes them hard, once he gets his diploma, a crowd of jocks run up to the stage and Louis jumps off. The boys carry him until his thrown to the ground. There were more idiots but my guys won the competition.

On the way to the restaurant, we had to take Liam and Michael there, so Zayn and I didn't hold hands even though I really wanted to.

As we sat down, I could feel my stomach churning. I wanted to stop Ashton from proposing but I cannot interfere. Pictures were taken while we were waiting for the food to be served. Ashton left momentarily. It was my job to distract Arlene from Ashton's disappearance. I could feel the pit grow bigger by the second, I was bound to hurl. I look over at Luke, smiling with worry. He flashes a pitiful smile and returns back to the person's attention.

As we sit down, waiting for our plates to be set, Liz hit her fork against her glass "attention everyone! As were about to eat, I think Emma should pray for the meal." Everyone giggles and I blush "Oh, no!" Arlene sneers "oh come on Emma, we promise we won't make fun of you this time." I scoff, rolling my eyes "that's what you said last time." Ashton tosses me a bread "come on, do it for me." I frown a bit "mmm, just for you?" he ridiculously nods yes. I blurt "then I'll pass." Everyone laughs. Luke clears his throat "I'll do it." Louis groans "Aw I don't want to cry." Michael pats his back "its okay Louis, all girls cry." Louis curses him off.

We all settle, bowing our head. I look around and watch everyone close their eyes. Then I look over to Luke, his perfect innocent face, beautiful blonde hair swayed upward. I start remembering all those nice memories with him, especially our first hang out alone. He did replace my pink scarf, though this scarf wasn't pink, it was orange, my favorite color.

I didn't even notice he finished praying because he was looking straight at me, I shiver out of my focus and smile. He smiles back. As we ate our lasagna, Arlene made a funny face, grabbing something from inside her mouth. Its game time for Ashton.

As she spits it out, she wipes it clean and looks at it. Her mother questions "What's wrong dear? What is it?" she shows everyone by holding it up in the air "it's a ring." Everyone murmurs while Ashton clears his throat, slips out of his chair and kneels beside her.  Zayn turns to me, popping his eyes out while biting his lip. He really didn't seem that much surprised. Everyone flips but Luke and I. Ashton ignores everyone's remarks and holds her hand to his chest "Arlene my love, this date last year, was the first time we kissed. Since then, you have brightened up all my days. You have loved everything about me, loved my stupidity and I still don't get why. Heck Arlene I still doesn't understand how I got you. What I do know Arlene is that I love you, I love watching you smile, laugh, cry, burst out in anger because I love you, all of you and when you told me you loved me back, God I was the happiest day alive. And these people here, when I'm finished proposing, they'll tell you that we don't know any better, that we don't know what love is but I will tell you this, I do love you and I do know what love is, and if they claim I don't love you, then they haven't loved themselves because my feelings are true. I love you Arlene, marry me." both their faces covered in tears and redness around their eyes and nose. She clears her throat "yes! of course! Yes!" she jumps on him, hugging him and pecking him with kisses.

I look around and watch everyone in complete shock.