Chapter 6: Government Agent

We crossed the street and walked into the night. Luke sighed "So how are we supposed to get homeless clothes?" Zayn groaned "Trick him into taking his clothes off." I scoffed "Or we could buy him new clothes and ask him to give us his old clothes." Luke sighed "Why do girls have such a good heart?" I roll my eyes and spot a department store. I asked "What time is it?" Zayn looked down at his watch "9:10. Why?" I pointed over to the store. Luke grabbed my hand and we jogged over. As we entered the store I looked at my reflection on the doors clear window. I looked like hell, literally my hair pointing out in different directions, my face looked red and dirty. I tired fixing my hair but found no hope. But as I stare into the reflection, Zayn and Luke looked horrible too. We enter and followed Zayn through the halls. Everyone looked at us, I wouldn't be insulted if they mistaken us for homeless. I focus me gaze on the floor. We reached the Men's section. I walk over to some sweats, grab a medium, head over to the thermal shirts and grab two black medium ones. And I grab a rain coat.

Luke and Zayn just followed me. I said "Okay." Luke looked at both of us "who's paying." I blush "I didn't bring money." Zayn said "Its fine, ill pay. But how much is it?" I look at the tags, the grey sweats cost four euros, the discount for the thermals made the cost seven euros and the rain coat cost ten euro's. I quickly made the math and sigh "21 euro's." Zayn nodded his head and we headed over to the cashier. A guy scanned our items, he kept his focus on us, his mouth slightly open, eyes droopy, and he looked exactly like the cartoon character from boomerang, droopy. Zayn gave him cash and the cashier said "be safe." Luke grabbed the bag and walked away. I gave the cashier a sympathetic smile.

Once we headed out, Zayn stopped walking "We should jog; 10 minutes could be cut into five."Luke nodded and looked at me. I shrugged "Yeah, let's do this." Zayn grabbed my hand "stay close." We jogged down the street and turned two lefts before I saw trash can bins lit on fire and plenty of men roaming around. I was used to homeless men, I was raised in LA but at night, this night, approaching them felt like a death wish.

Luke stopped us, instructing me "wait here." He headed off to a trash bin where a man stood alone. Suddenly the man yelled "I don't need your fucking charity." Pushing Luke onto the ground, hitting his head. Both Zayn and I ran to Luke. Zayn slid on the gravel to Luke. I look at the man and he just stares at me. I raise my hands in surrender "It's not charity, or else we would have brought something for everyone here." Pointing at the roaming heads. He yells "No I don't want it!" I sigh "Okay we won't give it to you but you should know that it's very warm clothes, it'll keep you warm instead of this fire." He looks at me with a death glare; hopefully my words leave a mark.

The man thinks about the words and replied "Fine! But you're not with the government, or else Ill skin you!" I shake my head no scarily and handed him the bag. Zayn helps Luke up, grabbing him by the waist and pulling him off the ground. I walk backwards towards Zayn and whispered "were going to die tonight." Zayn looked down at me, smiled "No, not tonight." I focused my attention to his big brown eyes, how they glisten when the light reaches them. The man starts to strip himself and Zayn covers my face with his huge hand. A couple of minutes pass and Zayn lets my face free, revealing the man changed. I walk over to the man "Can we have your clothes?" he looked at me, and reached down to the ground, pulling up his dirty torn stinky clothes. I grab the bag from the floor and advise him to dump his old clothes into it. I tie a knot "Thank you, god bless you." He smiles and walks over to his cart.

Luke laughed "He thought I was a government agent." Zayn laughed "We should get out of here." We walk out of the lit trash bins lot and into a street. From afar we see a gang hanging out side on the stairs. Seems like Luke and Zayn didn't mind their meet but I couldn't help but feel a sense of danger. As we approach the gang, Zayn whispers "Stay close." I stood behind Zayn and followed his footsteps. Then a voice yells "you guys lost?" Zayn yelled back "Nah, we know where we going, my buddy here got in a bit of trouble outback is all." They all stand and we walk over the stairs. Then all the guys start to whistle. One said "Damn, come here sugar." I turned back and a guy gave me a smile and licked his lips. I flip him off and the gang starts to get rowdy. Zayn turns back "hey man, back off." The guy that licked his lips jumped off the stairs and walked over to us, and for some reason we stopped walking which we should have ran instead. The guy goes face to face with Zayn saying "What did you say?" Zayn replied "you heard me." the guy smirks "I'm giving you a chance here for mercy before my crew here beats you." Luke emphasized "What he meant to say was fuck off." Then the guy's fist connects with Zayn's face, and Zayn tumbles down into the street. Then Luke grabs the guy from the shirt punching his nose. A stream of blood rolls down the guys face and he yells. Suddenly utter chaos breaks loose and it was five guys against Luke and Zayn. I stood there in shock, I couldn't move. I forced myself to think.

From afar I see a large iron rod pole, I run to it, picking it up. I scratch myself at first but ignore the pain and start walking towards the guy with the bloody nose. I lift the pole up to my shoulders and swing it against his head. The guy drops down onto the floor. Everyone stops their actions and looks at me with disbelief. I yelled "Leave before you're next!" the four guys look at one another and start running into a house. Zayn looks at me and laughs. I drop the iron rod on the floor and grab my hand. Luke runs to me "Your hurt." I jerk my hand away "I'll be good, what's the next item?" Luke doubts my acquisition but takes out his phone and read "Record being a fake doctor at a hospital; make sure to bring a lab coat for extra points." Zayn said "Great we can check in Emma, shell het her hand check by a real doctor and then Luke will pretend to be a patient, and ill pretend to be a doctor." I said "Where's the hospital?" Luke sighed "Um, shit I'm lost." Zayn scratched his head "About five miles out, but I know a short cut." Zayn starts to run. Luke and I follow.

As we ran the pain became unbearable but I focused my attention to the sky. Lamps lit, but a gloomy light appeared beneath it. And when I breathed, a cloud of white appeared out of my nose and mouth. I started to feel my face freeze. Then Zayn yelled "The underground tunnel. The train will take us in less than two minutes." We run down the stairs, and turn right into the leaving train. We missed it by seconds. We stood there waiting for the other one to come by. I recline into a wall. Then I noticed eyes on us, once again, we were dirty and bloody this time. I asked the guys "Do you think we'll win? I mean, we at least have passed 30 minutes." Zayn replied "Yes! Usually most scavenger hunts take about two hours to complete. Which reminds me, let's read the other items?" Luke pulls out his phone and read "Bring back a pet." I scoffed "What?" Zayn laughed and Luke kept reading "Try on swim wear, leave it on, don't pay for it and don't bring back the cops to our place." I sighed "How is this, a scavenger hunt guys? Why are we even doing this dumb game?" Zayn immediately answered "To win." Luke walked towards the edge "I hear the train." I push myself off the wall and walk next to Luke. He elbows me and I look up to find a goofy grin on his face. I giggle and feel the wind whooshing in my face as the train passes. The door open and we hoped onto the train. We sit together and wait in silence. I could hear jazz music playing in the background. Then the train stops and we get off.