Chapter Twenty-Four: High On Whatever I Just Took

“Take these every couple of hours, they’ll help with the pain and sleeping and also just be careful not to make any violent movements. Other than that you should be fine Andrew. I hope you recover quickly.” The nurse behind the front desk nodded at me once, filing away my release papers that I had just signed. “Good luck.” Grabbing the small bottle she gave me I clutched it tightly in my hand. No worries, just drug me up and I’ll be fine.

“Sure,” I smiled tightly, walking hurriedly away from the desk. Shrugging the one shoulder that was still functioning properly I tipped out about three of the tablets and dry swallowed them, shoving the bottle deep in my denim jackets pockets. Although I hated taking them, I was good at simply swallowing tablets from when I was a kid. I used to suffer form terrible nightmares and was forced to take medication every night to help me sleep better.  

“Finally!” I breathed as I walked tenderly out of the hospital doors. I wanted to do anything but walk. Walking just didn’t do the joy of being outside justice. It felt like years had passed since I had last seen the sky, heard the ground crunch under my feet. To be honest, I almost wish it had been. Then I could forget why I had been in there to start with. Aside from that… I was free!

Well… as free as you can be when half of you is completely immobile. Gingerly I attempted to lift my right shoulder, cursing and fuming silently when the muscles screamed in protest. Life just does not like being simple. Sighing I shook away the annoyance, returning to relishing the feel of the dusk air on my hospital paled skin. The warm bath of golden light over my body was much appreciated compared to the fluorescent and stark white of the hospital. Against the fiery sky, the city around me seemed to come alive, a surprising lack of people making the moment even more perfect.

Smiling broadly, I waved with the arm on the right side, careful to avoid use of the left half of my torso. It wouldn’t be completely healed for another couple of weeks according to the countless doctors and physiotherapists. Unfortunately. In the distance Accel grinned back, the yellow sunlight casting a light halo around his body as he leant casually against the metal of a street lamp. I swear I nearly swooned when his hypnotic jade gaze collided with my adoring one. Swallowing heavily I walked towards him, praying my knees wouldn’t give out and cause further unnecessary injury to my ‘fragile’ body. That would be just like me.

WHY are you nervous you idiot! He’s your boyfriend…  I paused for a moment before shrugging; well… let’s just go with ‘boyfriend’ anyway.

Maybe it’s because he tried to save you… I mean, he risked his life. He was just late.

Grimacing, I shook the thought off, not wanting to return to the nightmares that haunted me night and day. That part of my life was over, finished with; DONE. I intended to keep it that way. The metres between us grew smaller and smaller until I was once again in his arms, immersed in jade green.

“Hey,” he smiled, his beautifully harsh features softening. Reaching out, his slender fingers trailed over my cheek, flicking a piece of hair back into place. I frowned reaching up and scuffed it around again, carefully making sure each separate strand was perfectly in place. Before I pulled my hand away, I heard Accel sigh. What? Shaking his head, he reached his hands up and gripped mine, fidgeting around my wrists before bringing both our hands down together. Casting him a questioning look, I grasped my bands protectively.

“What?” I grumbled.

Ace merely rolled his eyes. “You know what.”

“What’s that supposed to mean!”

He shook his head again. “Never mind. Let’s go.” He tugged me further into him, until his left hand slid into one of the back pockets of my jeans. I jerked in shock and flushed a deep red as I felt a tiny pinch.