Chapter Seven: Falling, Falling, Falling

Heavy feet pounded up the stairs and sweating hands wrenched open my bedroom door. I stood there feeling the cold sweat drip off the bridge of my nose. It wasn’t that I was exerted or under physical strain, I was burning up on the inside. Shudders heaved through my chest with each gasping breath and my legs collapsed under me, the door frame supporting my full weight as I slid down the wood.

Am I going insane?

I rose my shaking hand, staring at it with my blank grey eyes. Slowly I brought it towards my chest placing it where HE did only minutes ago. How did he do that? I felt it burn all the way through my soul… I feel so drawn to him but WHY!? He is so dangerous, just looking at him gives me this… vibe.

Wrenching the hand away from my chest I let it slam against the ground, the pain shocking me out of my stunned state.

What did he mean? “I want you to need me…” What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

I fixated on my shaking hands.

It means he wants you. And he will stop at nothing to get you.

Before I even registered the thought that ran through my head I heard a sound from outside my window. At first I just assumed it was a branch or something, maybe even a bird. Birds’ crashing into my window was a regular occurrence unfortunately. I loved birds but in particular birds of prey; they were my personal symbol of freedom. Imagine being able to take to the sky like that and just leave all your troubles behind. In fact, one of the bands around my wrist was made up of leather figures of eagles. It tied together with two thin dark brown leather straps with three beads, each one a different shade of brown. It was my favourite one and was somewhat of a lucky symbol for me as my best friend had given it to me when I lived back in Alice Springs. That was years ago though, she probably didn’t even remember me.

The noise sounded again, it sounded almost like…

A cat.

I swear to God I will shoot it.

Using the smooth wooden frame as my support I heaved myself to my feet, rocking unsteadily as I walked forwards. It was almost like I was drunk even though I hadn’t touched alcohol since last night. As I neared my bed I grasped the white and olive sheet covers, keeping my balance. Apparently my legs hadn’t recovered from the incident with Accel. Shoving myself forwards I staggered to the window wrenching it open and breathing a lungful of fresh air, only to choke on it when the cat strutted through the open glass. I reached down and grabbed it by the scruff of its neck, ignoring the pathetic yowling. It hung form my hand outside the open window as I threatened to drop it. It hissed and spat at me, attempting to scratch my am but I had it firmly in my grasp and I wasn’t letting go… yet.

 You had this coming.

“You started this you bitch. You’ve ruined my fucking life and made it hell. Hope you’re happy with yourself,” I spat at it, glaring deep into its poisonous yellow eyes, “We’ll see who’s on top now though huh? Whose life is on the line now huh? All I have to do is let you go and my troubles will be over. Don’t worry, cat’s always land on their feet remember? I’m tempted to test that theory.”

Its eyes sparked with fury and it started another furious attempt to maul my arm. It writhed, twisted and wrenched in every direction but I refused to let go. I was in complete control for once and I loved it.

Goodbye cat. I hope you have a great time in hell.

I smiled wryly at it even though my head was screaming at me that I was insane and to step away from the window. But I was in control. This cat’s life was in my hands! Just one move and everything would be over for better or worse.