Chapter Two: Not So Late Night Shopping

I watched glumly as my parents transferred the last of their suitcases into the awaiting taxi. Turns out they had been planning this ‘family’ holiday for about a year now. Which coincidentally means that the holiday had absolutely nothing to do with the results on my report card at all, I brooded, well, doesn’t that just make me feel loved. Sighing heavily in resignation I dragged myself down the stairs to face the people who were abandoning me- once again- to the cruel ways of the world.

I really am a melodramatic person aren’t I?

“ANDREW!” my mother screeched in her banshee voice, “We’re leaving now!”

My ears flinched in response to this barrage of intrusive noise and I took the remaining stairs two at a time just so she wouldn’t need to mortally impair my eardrums again. I rushed forwards as she opened her mouth to let out another steady flow. I don’t think so! Quickly I pulled her into a hug, tensing at the overly physical contact. The bands on my wrist caught softly on the cotton of her shirt as I tentatively patted her back, my nose being tickled by a few stray blonde hairs. In contrast to my light and decidedly more reluctant hug my mother hugged me tighter and tighter with each passing second, threatening to snap my bony frame in half. I can’t breathe! Can’t… breathe…

“Sweetheart, I think you’re choking the boy,” my father hinted humorously.

 More like trying to forcibly crush her body into my rib cage!

“Yes-“, I gasped, “Choking… would be a … very…. appropriate… word!”

Sighing, she finally let me go, cradling my face in her hands and staring into my eyes. “Is it such a crime to hug my son?”

“It is if you kill him in the process,” I winced, shifting my ribcage around to try and increase the blood flow. Is it possible to get lung implants? Because I think I might need them… this is so stupid, she was only going for a week!

She patted me roughly on the cheek and frowning I drew away, shaking my hair back into place in the process. “Be good. Study hard.” She said warningly before Dad basically dragged her out the front door.

The taxi honked from outside impatient to leave. Dad scuffed my hair as a way of saying goodbye and I nearly screamed in frustration. Don’t touch it! GOD! Seconds before he hopped into the revving taxi he gave me a stern look over the top of the reading glasses.

I waved back at him, feeling the wind tug at my t-shirt from the open doorway. He raised his eyebrows and sank into the taxi, closing the door behind him. Spinning around I shoved the door closed and leaned my head back against it. Finally!   

The taxi quickly drove away and I blew out a huge sigh of relief before catching sight of my hair in the mirror on the wall opposite me. “Fuck…” I muttered, desperately attempting to put it back to the way it was before. It didn’t work. I blame you Dad. Cursing under my breath I turned away from the horrible depiction of myself, yawning and stretching, hitting my hand against the wall. Ow.

I was finally alone!

Party it up or what?

***

Lifting the can to my lips again I swallowed the alcohol greedily, focusing my slowly waning attention on the game playing on the television in front of me. To be honest I had no clue what I was doing anymore, this was just another way to pass time that didn’t involve me opening a book or taking drugs to knock me out. There had been no party, nor was there going to be considering my complete lack of friends, acquaintances or anything that could possibly resemble a social life. I didn’t really have much interest in parties anyway, I’d much rather get drunk on my own. At least then I could only blame myself if I fucked up. Throwing the empty can, I heard it clatter somewhere in the darkness of the room. Yeah, my life was totally awesome. Not.