Chapter Nine: Understanding Is Impossible

Start from the beginning

Sighing heavily I hauled myself up the last remaining stairs and into the house, glaring at my shoes on the way past. Stupid glass, I thought. I jumped into my shower as soon as I reached my room.

The hot water nearly scorched my skin, but I was glad for it. Hopefully, if it was hot enough, it would burn away any memories of the past week. Unfortunately for me it didn’t, it was only water. Ugh… why me? I shut the taps off, stepped out of the shower and slung a towel around my hips, finding antiseptic and a bandage before applying it to my foot. It wasn’t great, but it would have to do for the time being.

Beep, BEEP, beep.

Nine o’clock already? Seriously!

Within minutes I was out the front door, shoes barely on my feet and my uniform in a serious state of disorder. Hey, at least it’s on my body!

“Shite!” I yelled as I nearly tripped down the stairs from my shoelace.

Goddammit! Quickly I tucked the laces inside my shoes, not even bothering to tie them up. I picked up my pace until I was running towards the school, well as fast as I could run on my foot. I’m late I’m late, oh so very late…. I sound like that rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. I finally reached the school, heading straight for the administration office; the big cream coloured building. Quickly I pushed inside the room, not surprisingly there was no one in there except the tiny old woman sitting behind the desk. She had massive coke bottle glasses with large black rims and a scowl plastered across her face as she saw me walking towards her.

“Bags outside!” she yelled at me, glaring from behind the desk. She surveyed my appearance quickly, distaste evident. What’s up her ass? I wondered before throwing my bag outside.

I approached the desk again, watching as she squinted at paperwork. She ignored me.

“Um… hi,” I tried.

I saw her stiffen before she swung her chair in my direction.

“It’s good morning actually,” she snarled.

This should be fun, I thought sarcastically.

“Well good morning then. I’m Andrew Johanessy and-”

“Why are you late?” she interrupted. I frowned at the rude interruption.

“Actually I was just going to explain-”

 “Get to class! I don’t have time for the ramblings of arrogant teens like you.”

Who the hell does she think she is?

“I would get to class if I knew exactly where it was!”

She gave me a questioning look.

“I’m new here? So…. I don’t exactly know what class… I’m in…” I provided, giving her a ‘duh’ look.

She sighed heavily, annoyance flitting across her wrinkled face as she spun to the computer.

I thought old ladies were meant to be nice?

“Name?” she asked bluntly.

I shook my head. “Andrew Johanessy,” I muttered.

Her fingers flew across the keyboard, the clattering sound echoing in the stiffy room. “Room three, in S block,” she answered shortly, “here’s a map. Don’t get lost. I don’t want to see you in here again today.”

I shrugged at the quick dismissal, grabbed the map and exited the room as quickly as possible.

“Weird,” I muttered as soon as I was out the door.