Chapter Thirty-Three: You and Only You

It’s hard to believe that throughout all this drama, today was my birthday. I know I haven’t exactly mentioned it that much before, but turning nineteen has been in the least of my worries this entire summer.      Mom and Caroline surprise me with my favorite breakfast this morning-crepes. They’re basically like a French pancake with different fillings. I like mine with Nutella and strawberries on the top. One word: yum.

          Jess even stops by my house to give me my birthday gift-she said she couldn’t wait any longer. I don’t blame her though; she got me one of the best gifts ever! Well, it’s actually a bunch of stuff that she’s saved over the summer for what she likes to call my ‘ultimate summer gift’. That’s Jess for you-she is super nice and caring if she really likes you but if not, let’s just say you won’t get the best treatment.

          Anyway, the gift, or I should say gifts she got me are: a Glamour Kills tank top that says CREATE LOVE, a sweatshirt she got signed by All Time Low for me (how sweet is that?), a collection of guitar picks all from my favorite bands and the pair of purple Vans I had been dying to get.

          I give her a huge hug. “Thank you, not only for the gifts, but for being such an amazing friend.”

          “Aww, that’s so deep, Hayley. You’re great too,” I swear she’s about to tear up now, but it’s okay.

          As soon as we pull away, my Sidekick starts buzzing.

          It’s a message from Cameron.

          Hey meet me at the Santa Monica Pier tonight around 7:30.

          “It must be the boyfriend,” Jess trails off, “judging by the huge grin on your face.”

          “Stop it,” I lightly punch her on the arm.

          I reply: okay :D

          I can’t help but wonder what he has in store for me this time. Did he just want to like talk or was something bothering him? God, I hoped not. Okay, I’m definitely overthinking things again. I really need to stop doing that.

          “Lemme guess, making secret plans?” Jess peers over the screen but it’s too late; I’ve already sent the message.

          “Maybe,” I say mysteriously.

          I lean back on my bed. My head hurts from analyzing everything that’s happened this summer.

          “Hayley’s in love again,” Jess flips her hair to one side and begins braiding it.

          “You could say that again.” In fact, I’d had some pretty joyful dreams last night after everyone had dozed off. All of them were about Cameron and I (no surprise there) and we were so happy, walking on the beach at sunset, taking pictures, laughing. It had been a lot of the things we’d already done and some that we were just yet to do.

*        *        *

          “OMG! I love that top on you!” Jess gushes after I’ve slipped into the new tank top she got me.

          “Thanks,” I grin. “I like your romper.”

          Jess shrugs, “You know, just trying to look cute.”

          “Of course!” I adjust the belt on my denim shorts.

          “Shut up!” she throws a floral top at me.