Chapter Twenty-Four: The Boys You Do

“Hayley, Hayley! Is everything almost set up for the party?” Stacy’s voice barks out of my Sidekick. I’m at Katherine’s house, in her backyard, helping get everything ready for the party. I didn’t think I was going to have to help hang decorations and put out food, but I guess with Stacy asking for favors, I saw it coming.

          “Yes, we’re almost done with everything,” I assure her as I set down another plate with quesadillas. I look around the backyard. Okay, well, there are actually only a few sparse patches of grass out here, but still. A huge pool with crystal-clear water is in the middle of the space and if you look to your right, there is a covered patio space with tables and food. Look straight ahead and you’ll see a small stage that is set up just far enough away from the pool.

          “Good, good. Is the band there yet?” she asks, clearly impatient.

          I glance at my new white watch. 4:45. “No, not yet, but they should be here soon-I told them to be here by 5,” I tell her.

          “Fine, I’ll be there in an hour. Tell Katherine.” She hangs up the phone abruptly so that I have no time to respond.

          “I see how it is,” I mutter to myself as I slide my Sidekick back into my pocket.

          “Hey, how’s everything going?” Katherine runs up to me, carrying a stack of napkins and baby blue plates.

          “Um, good. Stacy said she’d be here in an hour and the band will be here soon,” I answer cheerfully with a smile.

          “Great, I hope it all goes as planned,” she tucks a loose piece of hair behind her ear.

          “It will, don’t worry. Here, let me take those.”

          She hands me the napkins and plates while giving me an appreciative grin.

          It’s surprising how she and Stacy could be friends. Katherine is so sweet and caring while Stacy is the complete polar opposite.

          I saunter over to the patio and set the plates and napkins down.

          I’m about to grab a drink when someone grabs my waist.

          I turn around and breathe a sigh of relief when I see Cameron standing there.

          He looks so joyful nowadays, it’s unmistakable.

          “How’s my favorite girl?” he asks after giving me a small, playful kiss on the lips.

          “Pretty good; kind of exhausted, I’ve been here for like two hours already,” I complain.

          He frowns. “That sucks. You should sit down,” he grabs my hand and leads me over to the lounge chairs by the pool.

          I sigh as I sit down and let Cameron rub my back gently.

          My sidekick starts vibrating. There’s a message from John-they’re here.

          “The band’s here!” I jump up immediately and walk over to unlock the side gate for them.

          They climb out of their van and I wave to John, whose the first to get out.

          “How’s it going?” he calls over to me.

          “Pretty good!” I reply and soon they are all out of the van.

          “Wow, this place is sweet,” Brian remarks as he shakes off his flip flop and dips his foot into the pool.