Chapter Twenty-Eight: You Don't Wanna Know

“Keep talking,” Jess said as she took another bite of her Doritos and licked her fingers.

          “So I decided that I should finally talk to him and we met for coffee. He really wanted to make up, but honestly, I don’t think that I can trust him anymore. He even said he couldn’t take not seeing me any longer,” I explained as I un-wrapped another Ferrero Rocher chocolate.

          We were sitting on the floor in the middle of Jess’s room. We had an array of junk food, magazines spread out and my iPod blaring from the stereo.

          “Hmm, what I’m getting from this is that you’re not really sure what happened between Cameron and Mandy,” she concluded.

          “No, I know what happened. Mandy was on top of him, and he didn’t even bother to get off. He liked it.”

          “Let’s see, you weren’t even in the room when ‘this’,” she made quotations with her fingers. “Happened. We don’t know whose fault it was; you can’t just blame it all on one person.”

          Dang, she had a good point.

          “I guess you’re right,” I surrendered. “But how are we going to figure out what really went down?”

          She frowned. “I wish I could think of something, but we’d have to find some kind of evidence.”

          Evidence, evidence? “Where can we get the evidence from?” I questioned.

          “I don’t know,” she shook her head. “It seems almost unlikely, unless there was a camera in there or something...” she trailed off.

          It took me a moment to realize something. “Jess!” I grabbed her by the shoulders and starting shaking them.

          “What?”

          “There was! I swear, there was an iMac in there, the camera might’ve been on!” I exclaimed, remembering the little green light in the room.

          “You’re sure?” she asked.

          “Yes, I’m positive!” I grabbed her arm. “We have to go over there right now and check it out!”

          “Ugh, do we have to go now?” she complained.

          “Jess!”

          “Okay, okay, I’m getting up, don’t worry,” she hopped to her feet and grabbed the keys to her car.

          “Let’s go!” We scurried down the stairs and outside.

          “Hayley, slow down!” Jess called after me, seeing I was already in the car.

          But I couldn’t. I couldn’t. I needed proof. That’s all I needed-all I wanted. This would prove everything. Was Cameron really a liar? I hoped not, but I braced myself for whatever there was to come.

          Once we reached Katherine’s house, I ran to the front door and rang the bell. We waited for a few moments until the door finally opened. To my surprise, I found myself face-to-face, not with Katherine, but with Peter. Peter-the guy I met at the We the Kings music video shoot, the one I suspected was gay.

          “Peter?” I said in dismay.

          “Hayley, what are you doing here?” he looked about just as surprised as I did.

          “More like what are you doing, inside of Katherine’s house?” I crossed my arms over my chest.

          “Umm, for starters, she’s my aunt, and I was just cleaning her pool.”

          “Oh,” I felt a bit dumb. They were related? Since when? “I guess this is a bad time then,” I started to turn away but Jess stopped me.

          “We need your help,” she told Peter.

          “And you are?”

          “Jess, Hayley’s friend. Listen man,” she began to tell him everything and how we needed the computer.

          “Well, I guess it’s okay, Katherine’s not home,” he let us inside and we jogged up the stairs.

          I opened the door to the guest room and stepped inside; just being in there made me have bad flashbacks.

          I sat down in front of the computer and examined all the controls. “Okay, we need to get access to the web cam,” I told them.

          I moved the mouse since the screen was pitch black. Instead of the desktop appearing, it was the log-in screen. “Dammit, we need a password,” I was frustrated now.

          “Password, password, what could it be?” Jess punched Peter, who seemed to have zoned out, “You should know!”

          “What?” he snapped back into reality.

          “The password to the computer, bonehead!” Jess shouted.

I shot her a look, but I was grateful she’d come along.

“I have no idea,” he admitted. “She doesn’t exactly share these kinds of things with me.”

“But she’s your aunt,” Jess protested.

“You know what, it’s okay,” I sighed. I felt completely hopeless now, there was no way.

“No, we can’t just give up, we have to know!” Jess complained.

“I know, I know. Can you give us a call when Katherine gets back?” I asked Peter.

“Sure,” he answered.

“Alright, we should get going,” I hopped out of the chair and we left.

“What an ass,” Jess commented as she started the car.

“Peter?”

“Yeah, how do you guys know each other anyway?”

“Long story.” Well, it wasn’t really that long of a story but I didn’t feel like talking at the moment.

*            *                   *

          He never called back. Stupid Peter, I thought as I stacked a bunch of crisp white papers. Here I was now, at work, and all I could think about was what was on that computer. What if there was nothing and I was stressing for no reason? I really had to drop it, this was so stupid. I should just get back with Cameron already, shouldn’t I? No, I couldn’t do that.

          “Hayley! You ordered the balloons, right?” Stacy was walking towards me, a stack of catalogues in one hand, a Starbucks cup in the other.

          “Yes, twenty minutes ago,” I replied.

          “Good. Here’s some catalogues-look through them and let me know what napkin holders will match the best,” she handed me the stack and walked off.

          I took it from her and buried my head in the glossy pages. The last thing I wanted to do right now was look for napkin holders. I mean, are you kidding me? I had bigger things to worry about.