Chapter Three: Love On My Mind

“That didn’t happen! It’s impossible!” Jessica says as we grab towels for the pool.

            “Well, it DID,” I squirt a little too much sunscreen on my palm and rub it all over.

            “So, how did it feel? You must have been taken aback. I mean, he’s bound to be your Prince Charming.”

            “Huh, yeah right. I was taken aback, but not in that way,” I tell her.

            “Whatever,” she says as she slips into her flip-flops.

            We walk out the door, the back door; I mean and put our stuff down on the lounge chairs.

            I put on my neon green shades as Jessica does a cannonball off of the huge rock that’s attached to the waterfall.

            I climb up, and fling my body into the water.

            The water is freezing, not what you would expect on a ninety-degree day.

            “When did your pool get so cold?” she asks.

            “It’s always like this at the beginning of the day. It’ll warm up sooner or later, Jess,” I assure her.

            “Okay, good, ‘cause you know how much I hate cold pool water,” she swims to the steps and hauls herself out to one of the chairs.

            “You gonna tan?” I ask.

            “Yeah, what does it look like?” she jokes as she positions herself on her belly.

            I do a few laps in the pool when Jess says, “I’m gonna go make us some raspberry lemonade, if that’s okay.”

            “That’s cool,” I say as I lay on one of the inflatable floaty things.

            I wait for her to come back, gazing up at the watercolor blue sky. I close my eyes. Ah, the summer fever. I imagine all the great things me and Jess do each and every summer. Images of us riding our bikes along the beach, or eating popsicles and spotting out new guys pop into my head. It’s pretty funny when we see someone that’s cute. We can’t exactly gush our feelings aloud, especially when he’s standing about 10 feet away. Instead, we IM or text message each other. It’s hilarious. We giggle a lot, and the guy will always glance over, but never suspects anything when he sees us on our phones. In fact, I have to say-

            Suddenly, I hear footsteps approaching. I figure it’s just Jess with the lemonade, so I wait until she calls for me. I wait for a few minutes, thinking, “Why am I not hearing Jess’s voice?” I even think about actually getting out, but decide against it.

            “Hey,”

            I immediately flip over on the neon green floaty and am underwater within seconds. What in the-

            I find a tall figure standing in front of me. I can’t exactly make him out that well, since I left my contacts outside of the pool. But, that’s okay. His dark features stand out all too well.

            “Cameron?!?!?” I’m fuming. “What do you think you’re doing?” I bark at him.

            He laughs. He’s laughing.

            “I’m sorry, but what’s so funny?” I ask.

            “I didn’t mean to startle you,” he says apologetically.